Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Life >

Quilt Life

Quilt Life

Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

I have let most of mine lapse. I do still get Quilt, but it was $10.00 for the year :wink: I always flip through a magazine before I buy then , and lately nothing has been worth buying :cry:
Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM

My favorite LQS, Threads of Time in Danville, Il. has couple of spots in the retreat center where people bring the quilting/knitting magazines they no longer want and leave them. If you find one you want you just take it. When you're done you can bring it back or keep it, no one cares. Just another part of their great customer service.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 AM

I stopped buying magazines last year as they were so repetitive and so many ads. I had 7 magazines regarding quilting and I canceled them all. I find I look thru the old books and find patterns that are great to use.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM

I am letting my subscriptions run out little by little. although I do enjoy Quick Quilts........

I just started McCall's Quilting but I can't say that I am very impressed....

didn't get the first issue......called and they told me that they couldn't send me one but they will extend mine by one more issue...

I placed my order in March and with the subscription, I was to receive a pair of small Stork scissors....have called three times and have yet to receive them........oh well, another one that won't get renewed......
Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM

I'm letting mine run out too. McCalls has akways been my favorite, but they're becoming very repetitive. IN FACT.. COVERS ALL LOOK THE SAME. Wouldn't you think they could at least change the front of the mag?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Do not buy a magazine unless I have gone completely though it. I am getting to feel the same way about the magazines. I get Fons and Porter, Quilters Newsletter, and believe it is McCalls. But will give them up when time to renew.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 PM

The stork scissors aren't worth the phone call. I have them. I do not have large hands (size 5-1/2 ring) and the scissors are so small that my thumb and finger get stuck. I'll keep my Gingher embroidery scissors nearby. I am now making it a habit to grab a quilt magazine on my way to the checkout line in JoAnn's. They never have enough cashiers and the line is usually long, so I read their magazine for free and just leave it on the counter when it is FINALLY my turn to check out. I'm going to let mine expire as they run out in the next year. The don't excite me anymore.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm sitting here realizing I'm not alone. I have about 250 quilt magazines I've been trying to get rid of and can't get anyone to haul them away. I'd be happy to send all or part to anyone who will cover the postage.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 AM

We have a senior citizens center here and there is a group that meets and quilts a few times a week. Do you have anything like that where you are? I am sure they would love to get a donation like that. I would drive to pick them up for the center in our community, but Yosemite is a bit far from Michigan.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I found an issue (the second one, I think) of Quilt Life. ....I picked up the issue and went home. I have been reading it for two nights and have still not found a single article worth reading. There is nothing new, nothing interesting, just same old stuff and a lot of ads. Have I said that I hate ads? I am happy I didn't get a subscription.

Am I the only one who thinks like this? What is YOUR opinion?
Yes, there are lots of ads in magazines. They make the magazines affordable. Mail and printing costs are sky high. Basically, putting out a magazine is like publishing a little book. If there weren't any ads, a single copy would cost as much as a book.

I love the Quilt Life magazine. It concentrates on quilters and on different topics that would interest quilters. The recent issue was chock full of interesting bits. There were had articles on two male quilters with unique perspectives, Joe Cunningham and Eric Wolfmeyer. Another article described the Peace Quilts project in Haiti, women helping themselves through quilting. And there was another article by Laura Fisher about a quirky antique alphabet quilt. I was fascinated.

The article of most interest to me was a challenge that they gave to 5 different quilters- a plain yellow and blue star quilt- and asked them to quilt it. The array of quilting styles was astounding!

I find the Quilt Life refreshingly different from other quilt magazines, in that it doesn't concentrate on patterns. If I live to be 100, I will never use all the patterns available to me. I have every copy of Quilters Newsletter since 1969. I have dozens of quilt books.

With the internet, the patterns are infinite. I don't need to see another pattern for a 9patch, log cabin, or pinwheel quilt. I love these old standards but I can do these myself with no help, no pattern, in a dozen different settings.

I'm more interested in people and their creativity.