Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Machine / Quilt - Embroidery Machine / Longarm Machine??? >

Quilt Machine / Quilt - Embroidery Machine / Longarm Machine???

Quilt Machine / Quilt - Embroidery Machine / Longarm Machine???

Old 05-02-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Very sage advice given above.....great that dh is encouraging and promoting your desire to renew your quilting bug....but do take it easy and slow in your purchases.......these "toys" of ours can be quite expensive and if not chosen wisely do not make good doorstoppers!

Wise! Just ask my serger! Lol!

Sandy
Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I never really wanted to get an embroidery machine because the use a lot of thread. I am still delighted with my older Bernina 1530. Doesn't bother me that it has a smaller throat because if you have support for you quilt behind the machine and to your left, you won't be struggling, at least I never did. Have fun shopping.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by skdenbow View Post
I do not know if this is the correct category to post this in, but I wanted to ask opinions. I have a Brother XR1355 Sewing Quilting machine. It is not the lowest end machine, but definitely not the most high end either. My husband suggested that I consider a new machine and told me to research. Of course, my research, up to date, has been with dealers. I quickly found they will boast of their own highest price machine. I used to do quilting years ago, but then life stepped in and I had to go back to school and work to raise my three girls on my own. Now, 20 years later, I am coming back to quilting and purchased a Brother machine and it has been great as far as sewing clothes, bedding, etc. I am not sure that it is the best for quilting as it does not have a large throat nor does it have hoops, etc. I have since looked at Brother Sewing Embroidery machines, as well as Baby lock. I went to a quilt show yesterday and a women mentioned that I should definitely check out Jenome and look into long arms. My mission for the next year or so, is to make family quilts which will essentially be raw edge applique blocks with quilting finishing for family members. They will end up being fairly large.

Anyone have any thoughts on the right type of machine or what is overkill or ??? Opinions and advice would be greatly welcomed! Thanks
its essentially a choice. people do great work on small inexpensive machines. Newer models offer nice improved features. Are they needed, no. Are they nice yes. I can tell you I love my expensive brother. It is truly made for quilting, there are quite a few models in the line. I own the highest model in the v-series line. I love the quilting features, the embroidery features. You can also buy a small frame to quilt on only 5 feet wide and can quilt all size quilts. I want to invest in the frame first and then invest in putting a machine on it that is not my main machine but will probably put my main machine on it for a few years. Some of the features on the v-series brother/babylocks that I like are large harp, sew straight laser penpal for position embroidery as well as 4 other sewing features the pen does, the dual feed is awesome it really sews everything awesome form thick layers to delicate fabric to difficult fabrics. It really has made me not eye the built in dual feeds anymore as it is very powerful and has its own motor and now with all the attachments it has quickly become my favorite foot for piecing and straightline quilting, as well as general sewing. It to me is now the best dual feed. I don't even use my walking foot anymore
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
From experience, you will soon tire of converting a machine from embroidery to sewing and back again. You will be much happier with separate units to do that.
I think it depends on the person. I don't mind my combo machine at all. I can sew with my unit on as well. which I do all the time unless I am FMQ with it dropped in the table. It really also depends on how often you embroider. To me its another hobby i do so I will often either be embroidering for a while or sewing for a while dependent on the projects I have going on. I tend to focus on one at a time so that is not a huge issue
Old 05-02-2016, 12:27 PM

I don't want to weigh in on the "what you want to sew" discussion, but I would advise that you make sure you have the dealer close and that you like that store enough to go back for service and/or have service issues. You won't want to drive a long distance with problems or small issues. You want excellent customer service.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I have two straight stitch only machine that I use all the time. They have 9" throats. I mainly do straight stitching and FMQ. I no longer sew clothing, maybe curtains occasionally. I have four other machines that do more stitches. I don't use them.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:44 AM
Suz

Both of my Berninas have embroidery capabilities. Thought I need one to back up the other. I love both machines and use them often but never both at one time and rarely do I use the embroidery feature. As others have suggested, get started w/quilting, etc and then decide your needs. One of the Berninas has a large harp and it is wonderful when FMQ larger projects.

And don't forget to check good/great used machines. One of my Berninas had only 200 hours of use. The former owner traded up and I lucked into getting a great used machine at a much lower price. Yes, it was covered by warranty and service.

You didn't say the ages of your daughters, but having an extra machine in the house will come in handy for them or grandchildren.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:36 AM

Keep your machines simple. The less complicated, the less there is to go wrong. I prefer separate simple machines to avoid costly set up times, but I have the space. The only machine, I found was a mistake, was the embroidery, I just never thought it was "fun" so I gave it to my daughter. The last machine to consider is the long arm. go to guilds, go to shows, talk and try things. but keep it simple. good luck
Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 AM

I am a big fan of "single purpose" machines. Of course any regular domestic sewing machine will quilt, and I've quilted many queen and king size quilts on my Pfaff, Brother, and Singer treadle dsms. I love to embroider, and I have a Brother embroidery machine, not horribly expensive. I also love to free motion quilt, so I splurged and bought a sit-down quilting machine, Babylock Tiara. I would have a long arm on a frame if I had room for it. I enjoy all my toys and would replace any or all of them if necessary, but I could only afford to replace them one at a time. I would not buy a sewing/embroidery combination machine to be my only machine as they are too expensive. Also, if the machine required repair/replacement I would be without both while it was in the shop. Then what would I do? While my single use embroidery machine was in the shop (3 weeks) I was still able to piece tops and to quilt. I can't imagine not being able to sew at all while my multi-purpose machine was in the shop. But then I go into withdrawals any time I go a day without sewing.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM

I love my Janome 8900 that I bought after going through a Viking Designer 1 (thought I would do embroidery - didn't) and a Pfaff 2056. I love my Janome. It has an 11" throat and I do large quilts, which is helpful since I do machine binding. It also has enough stitches to do any embellishing that I want. I like embroidery, but have no desire to have an embroidery machine.

I had a serger, but found it too complicated for me. I would consider buying one now, since there are some good improvements, such as self threading.

I am lucky enough to have been able to buy my longarm. That said, I don't quilt for others, just charity and myself.

As others have said, a good dealer is important. I actually bought my machine from a dealer an 1 - 1/2 hour away, because the dealer near me was not very good.