Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Magazine, which one? >

Quilt Magazine, which one?

Quilt Magazine, which one?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Im down to 3 now but will end up with just Fons and Porter for one reason only. It is the only one that posts all the pictures of the quilts in the mag on the inside of the back cover.
What I really want is the pictures on the outside of the back cover so I can see at a glance all the quilts in the mag. So until then I am canceling all my mags as they come due.
Trying to find a pattern to do is just not worth the trouble to try and organize them somehow.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM

I also gave up on subs...I check the quilting mags on the racks and buy any that suit me. Sometimes I can't find an article or a quilt that I would make....why buy a sub. when I can be selective. Saves me a lot of money as I can go for months without finding something I want to make so I buy a pattern.
Originally Posted by QM
I gave up on all of them and use the on-line goodies for free. The last couple of subscriptions have been very disappoiinting. If I wanted, I could get some mags on disk from QuiltPro.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM

I have discontinued all of the mag subs I had.....all the mags seem to look alike lately....probably because there is usually one editor for 2/3 mags.......and lately some of the designs are so busy....not enough contrast between pieces-they all seem to run together-and all the mags are doing is advertising fabric lines.......in the really older magazines (70's and 80's) they just mentioned fabric A, fabric B, etc.....there really aren't many new patterns, just new fabrics.....
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM

About once a month I look through the issues at Barnes and Noble while I am waiting for my daughter and buy my favorite. Like others have said, there's alot of repetition in patterns, but sometimes I like to look at the FMQ. Several of the magazines have diagrams with a suggested quilting pattern. And I like to look at the latest notions.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 AM

I agree...you never make all that is in the magazines...but they are so fun to look at and dream....:)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Quick Quilt !! So many easy, pretty patterns in it for me....not so many advertisements in it either.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 AM

I don't subscribe to any now but always buy back issues at local quilt shows -- often at 3 or 4 for a dollar. If there's nothing I want to make I take the discards to my quilt group and give them away, so that way many people benefit from the magazines (except for the publisher of course!)
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 AM
Banned

i got a deal last year for renewing Quilters Newsletter. Got a free subscription to McCall Mag.
My daughter advertises in several magazine and passes her free copies on to me. I read them all and not sure i would subscribe to any. I look at the newstand and pik the one that has artiles that interest me.
However I do subscribe to any new one that comes along and may or may not renew. If there is nothing in a quilt magazine that doesn't interest me, I take it to the Quilt Guild for their sale table. Sure has cleared the magazine rack
Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Quiltmaker is the only one I subscribe to. They are all expensive, so I have to choose one only. The reason I like Quiltmaker is because their instructions are so easy to follow. At some quilt shows, they have a second-hand section and you can usually find quilt magazines for 25¢ and that's where I get others.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Quilter's World