Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 09-28-2016, 03:14 PM

I took a lot of mine to my quilt guild meetings and they were all taken. I was glad to get rid of them and others enjoyed them.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:07 PM

I second the guild idea, thrift stores and add in Assisted Living homes. I too hate it when there are patterns torn out, so it's all or nothing for me. If you put them on a craigslist add for free, someone will want them
Old 09-28-2016, 04:09 PM
KLO

I recently donated a group to our local charity. I checked with them first to see if they would take them and they did. I hate to throw anything away that someone else might want.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM

I brought all of my sewing magazines (Threads, etc) and my quilting magazines to an annual library sale. They were happy to have them and said that quilters come yearly looking for these. I also agree with thrift stores and "garage" sales. Quilters go there looking for fabrics, etc.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:27 PM

This is what I would do: take 5 off the bookcase and look through. Take out any pattern that speaks to you, store in plastic sleeve for a 3 ring binder and drop the 5 magazines in recycle. Repeat until all are done. Now you can thumb through the 3 ring binders for projects. I think that many magazines is overwhelming and paging through all the ads is too much for me. I have table runners stored together, etc. Saves lots of time.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Too funny; this is exactly what I'm doing now. I got several plastic document bins from Big Lots to hold the patterns I want to keep. Any magazines with pages now gone are tossed into the recycling bin. I already have three good-sized stacks of intact magazines. These will be donated to local charity shops. This will free up quite a bit of space in my quilting bookcases.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:14 PM

IMHO, if you take patterns out of a magazine, just mark it with "may have patterns missing". Many companies have the patterns on their web site for free or a nominal cost. If the pattern is missing, so is the picture of the quilt, so I don't think it's a very big deal when the magazine is free. I would still want the magazine to look through and the organization you are donating too can throw it away if they wish. Then I wouldn't feel guilty because I didn't throw it away--that bothers me and seems wasteful. Maybe I'm alone with my feelings, but that's OK.
Sue
Old 09-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
You can send them media mail thru USPS, it's insanely cheap
You might want to double check to make sure that magazines qualify for the media rate.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 PM

It sounds like these magazines are causing you undue stress. Give yourself permission to just throw them out. You enjoyed them when you got them and you looked through them. That is enough. You are taking care of a sick person - you do not need to call around to quilt guilds, Libraries , or thrift stores to see if they will accept them. (I work at a library- very few libraries have the space or the staff to accept a huge donation of old magazines). Put a bundle out for recycling whenever you can, be good to yourself. It is ok just to do what is easiest - they are only magazines.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

If you want to give the magazines away, I think it is reasonable to ask for the cost of postage if you decide to put them in the "free" section. A lot of magazines will fit in a medium flat rate box. ($13.45)

This is some info I found

rhttps://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Shipping-Returns/Can-vintage-magazines-be-shipped-as-USPS-Media-Mail/qaq-p/9229231

As far as I can tell, magazines are not in the media mail category.