Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 09-28-2016, 05:37 PM

I think they can be shipped at the book rate -- at least they used to be allowed that way.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
You can send them media mail thru USPS, it's insanely cheap
It really is. I order books online all the time and get a huge box of them that I can hardly lift for under $10 shipping.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:13 PM

If anyone needs to find a new home for old quilting magazines I would gladly take them!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Maybe offer them here on QB, under "for sale". Don't throw them out!!! I personally LOVE the old quilt magazines! In fact I just bought three from a thrift store today. Nothing like the old classics How much would you sell them for?
Several years ago, when I downsized, I offered them here on the board just for the cost of shipping. I filled medium sizzed flat rate boxes. My were all sorted so I just put a run of magazines in a box until it was filled.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 AM

What about donating some to a nursing home? The ladies may just enjoy looking through them.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 AM

I can't help with the magazines, I have the same problem. But the books can be organized and a nice list made on thelibrarything.com. You can list up to 200 titles for free. Then if you want to buy another book, like some book that someone on this board has used, you can see if you already have that book. That site is very easy to use, and only two of my 89 (*so far) book were not listed on the site.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:22 AM

If there's a quilt shop in your area, they may have a give away shelf or may be able to direct you to a guild that will appreciate them. If your local library is having a booksale soon, they may like them for that. I'm on our local Friends of the Library and people are always looking for craft magazines at our sales.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:27 AM

From time to time, our guild members will bring unwanted magazines to our monthly meetings and I've rescued a couple myself. It looks like you've received a lot of suggestions so hopefully you won't throw them out.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:34 AM

Assuming that the magazines are fully intact and in decent condition.....Call senior living homes and assisted living facilities to see if they are interested in some of them for their library, common areas, etc. I drop old magazines of any kind off at the local laundrymat because they have a magazine rack . They disappear! I hope they found a new home. Maybe, casually, leave one or two behind at doctors/dentist offices as you wait for your appt. Their selections are older magazines at times. Is there a senior organization that has a meeting place? Donate to Charity quilting groups?

Libraries are not likely to want them. But ask them anyway. Some quilt shops have an area for donated magazines as give-aways. Perhaps they would like them for freebies given to beginner quilting classe participants.

Do you vend? Put them in a crate and offer them as a give-away. Local quilt shows-guilds may use them as a fundraiser or give-away.

Just ASK any of these locations if they would like to have them.

btw,.it could cost $$ to MAIL THEM. ($3-$5 is my guessimation). If you decide to go that route...tell the post office that they are magazines..there is a special price structure for such. Or at least there used to be. Not the route I would have the time or energy for.

i quit subscribing to magazines. Too many are piled under the bed(s). I am not helping magazine sales...which is sad but my PIW (Projects In Waiting) list is already long!

Sandy
Old 09-29-2016, 03:14 AM

I have 8 banker boxes full of magazines-20-plus years. Mine are all organized and in order. I have not looked through them in a very long time. It is time for them to go away. I will offer them to my guild and them to the thrift store. There are so many that come digitally now. I just need to learn how to use those more efficiently-those files take up lots less space and are easy to go through.