Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM

I sure hope you find some place to donate them. I have a favorite thrift shop that I donate most of mine too. I used to drop off all my quilt magazines and quilt books to the library in their donate room. Usually, as I was filling up the to be shelved bin, people were pulling them out and leaving donations.

Now I have about 8 or 10 books that I use quite a bit. And less then 15 magazines. I do keep my quiltmaker block magazines. And, I'm only keeping them till I find the book of the first 10 years of magazines in one book. Then I will donate or give away what I have. I figure if I can make a block, I can make a quilt. And, google and Pinterest have so many ideas that I don't have to pack up my quilt shelf. Leaves more room for fabric, right!?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
OK, so this is a little time-consuming, but in the long run, oh-so-worth it!!
I got some BIG binders - some I had "rescued" from being trashed at the office - and some of those clear sheet protectors, and went through EVERY MAGAZINE I had.
I ripped out patterns/templates that I wanted, put them in the sheet protectors and put those in the binders.
I discovered that some magazines were virtually untouched, while other had only the advertisements left, and some were only a little "cannibalized".

I took what was left to my guild meeting, told everyone the story and said "Help yourself!!"
What few magazines were left went into the guild "library", with the understanding that if someone wanted to keep them, they could.

Later, I went back through the protected sheets and semi-organized... if there was a BOM-type set of patterns, they were all stuffed into a single sheet protector (if possible).
If there was a "series" (like the different animals that QuiltMaker does), those were at least grouped together in the binder, but not necessarily in the same sleeve.

Piecing patterns are all grouped together.
Applique patterns are all grouped together.
Articles - like a biography of a quilter, or history of a pattern, or "how-to" information - were all grouped together. Also, series like Bonnie Hunter's "Addicted to Scraps" are all in one sleeve.

I also put my "loose" patterns that I bought from the LQS in their own sleeves, and grouped those together - in a completely separate binder.
Yes, it takes awhile... if you've been quilting as long as I have, you won't finish in one day, or even in a weekend.

Just FYI... I have THREE of the big 4" binders that are FULL.
It's been awhile since I did this, so I'm behind again. I need to do another round of this. Which means I need to scrounge here at work for another binder.

My books... well, most of those are hard for me to part with, regardless of how "old and out of date", because the techniques described remind me of how blessed I am to have rotary cutters, AccuQuilt dies and so on. I HAVE donated a couple of books to the guild.

In the long run, it makes it a lot easier to find "fresh" inspiration... or to find that one pattern that is on your bucket list that you've finally decided to do NOW!

Good luck!!
I do this too. I have 4, 2" binders. And, I categorize the patterns by like patterns. Then about once a year I go through and re-evaluate if I still want to keep a pattern. That way I still have room to add to them and they only take up one cubby in my In my Ikea shelf. And, one of my binders is solely for down loaded doll clothes patterns. The other 3 are for quilting.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Hi girls. I am so glad to hear other people have trouble getting rid of their book no matter how old. When you pay the full price for things they stay awhile for me. I have donated many books to the library and they sell them to help differ the operating costs of kid programs. I like helping them out. But, extra magazines go to the local assistance league. They support the local food bank for the needy (among other things) and it is a worthy cause. So, I try and also buy in the store or the senior sampler little store within the store that supports local seniors. Can you tell, I really like that place. They have asked me to volunteer there a couple of times, but, I hate having to go somewhere now that I am retired. I did that too many years. I did offer to take some of the clothing items home with me to repair them and bring them back. But, they wanted someone to come in for a certain amount of time a week.

I have always thought that if I didn't have this thrift shop to donate to, I would take them to the senior center or even to a laundry mat. I remember the days I went to a laundry mat and it would have been cool to find something like a quilt mag there to read.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 AM

Our local quilt shop accepts old quilt magazines, and have a special place to keep used magazines, and theses magazines are free for quilters to take home.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 AM

We have a neighborhood yardsale FaceBook page. You could offer it as 'Free Porch Pick-up". Put them and bags and people will come... You don't even need to answer the door, they just grab a bag (or more) and go.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:04 AM

My library is always thrilled to get quilt magazines and I have also taken older ones to Salvation Army and Goodwill, both are happy to get them.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:12 AM

I hope you will donate them to Saver's, so someone else who doesn't have too many will be able to enjoy them. When I started quilting, I was able to buy books at Saver's for $1.99 and mags for 0.29. It made the hobby of quilting accessible to me. I hope you will bless someone else in the way I have been blessed.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:35 AM

I agree to donate vs. tossing. Many good ways to do that here. I always purchase old quilting magazines and get such enjoyment from them. When I bring magazines home, I try also to go through what I already have and then giveaway, sell or donate those that I no longer want. Just depends how much time I want to put into getting rid of them. I would think putting an ad on Craigslist for "free" quilt magazines would get a lot of responses, then you could leave them on the porch for pick up. I would jump at the chance if I were to see that ad.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 PM

I gave mine to beginner quilters who had none and they were well received.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If you want to give the magazines away, I think it is reasonable to ask for the cost of postage if you decide to put them in the "free" section. A lot of magazines will fit in a medium flat rate box. ($13.45)

This is some info I found

rhttps://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Shipping-Returns/Can-vintage-magazines-be-shipped-as-USPS-Media-Mail/qaq-p/9229231

As far as I can tell, magazines are not in the media mail category.
I just mailed some to a friend and I mailed them at media rate. I think if there is other things with them then you can't use media mail.