Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt maker

Quilt maker

Hello everyone I love quilts but to be honest I don't know how to sew or where to begin with making quilts. I have fallen in love with a quilt I have seen online. I was looking for a quilt maker for hire to replicate the quilt I like. I thought I would start here for suggestions Thanks so much for any information

Welcome from Kansas. You just need to start reading everything you can find online and on TV and maybe take some classes.

Start by showing us a picture if you can.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Check in your area for a local quilt guild. I am sure someone there would take on the task. DO ask to see samples of their work.. and get a clear estimate of the cost for a finished quilt.

Do you want to learn to quilt, or do you just want a quilt? Quilting can become a very time consuming and expensive hobby, but through it you also meet new friends, learn new skills, and make beautiful things for yourself, friends, and family. Many of us also make quilts for charity or for sale. If you are interested in learning to quilt, I recommend that you start by taking a class at a local quilt store and join a quilt guild. If you aren't actually interested in quilting, but want a quilt, then hiring someone to make a specific quilt is probably the most expensive way to go. (You also need to make sure that the quilt you want to copy is not an original design, protected by copyright.) You should be aware that a hand made quilt (as opposed to one that you buy in a big box store) can be very expensive. But I agree with Debra - knowing what quilt you want to make/buy would help.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    Start by showing us a picture if you can.
    It will probably be impossible to duplicate it EXACTLY - fabrics go out of print, etc. - but an image of what you are looking for would be very helpful.

Power Poster
    A picture or a link to the picture would help. There are some master quilters that create quilts that most of us don't have the expertise to try. So depending on the difficulty, we can give you an idea of where to go for someone to give you an estimate.
    Most people don't have any idea of what a full size quilt costs for just the supplies. Backing fabric $30 to $100 depending on the fabric. Batting $15 to $50 depending on batt choice of polyester, cotton blend, wool, bamboo, other. Fabric for the top $50 dollars for bargain fabric (you get what you pay for) to $200 and up. So you are looking at $100 for bargain supplies to $500 for quilt shop quality fabric. On top of that they will want to be paid for piecing, quilting, supplies and their TIME.

Hello and welcome from Spring, Texas. I agree a pic would be nice

Blog Entries
    go to quilt shops and see if they can suggest anyone near you. You should talk to a quilter in person.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio. I agree with the others, a picture would help.

Would love to see what you have in mind...Welcome to the board! Who knows, the bug might bite you too, lol!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to our family. I hope you not only love quilts, but fall in love with making quilts. There are so many directions a quilter can take as their interests broaden and knowledge increases. We look forward to reading more about your interest and the quilt you fell in love with.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Welcome from Missouri. Having someone make a quilt for you would be very expensive.
    Learn how to sew then get a good beginning to quilt book and you could make your own.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Welcome, and as most folks here have stated, having a quilt made, can be quite expensive!! Lots of good advice here, either way you decide to go. Quilting can become very addictive : )
    Amythyst

If you want to learn to quilt, there is much help on this forum as well as the computer, quilt shops, etc. Buy the book, Better Homes and Gardens complete guide to Quilting for the best choice to teach yourself. Good luck. Quilting is fun and one does meet fabulous people. The national quilt shows are fabulous to visit as well.

Welcome to the board!
    As one who enjoyed quilts for lots of years before deciding to try it myself, I would encourage you to consider making your own.
    Not knowing your time or budget constraints I will tell you that as a beginner it is not a very speedy process, but it does give a great deal of satisfaction, as well as sometimes frustration when your vision doesn't match your outcome (which can happen at any time along your journey). I have seen many "first quilts" that were wonderful.
    Do show us a picture of what you have in mind and we can give you all sorts of advice, encouragement and suggestions.

Blog Entries
    I have to say in the long run it will be less money to have someone make the quilt. I have spent way more on my machine and supplies than any quilt might have cost me. BUT I also would have missed out on all the new things I have learned and the new friends made.

Go for it learn to quilt.......

Quote Originally Posted by Susanna10 View Post
    Welcome from Kansas. You just need to start reading everything you can find online and on TV and maybe take some classes.
    I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought she was looking for someone to MAKE a quilt for her.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    If you are looking for a hobby that becomes a passion- quilting could be for you. Buy that bedsized quilt you desire and then dabble with smaller projects to see if it is a fit for you. Maybe that next quilt could be pieced by you. Good luck