Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt pattern with Hummingbird/flowers applique as center block >

Quilt pattern with Hummingbird/flowers applique as center block

Quilt pattern with Hummingbird/flowers applique as center block

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Quilt pattern with Hummingbird/flowers applique as center block

I am making an applique block 15"x15" of a hummingbird and vines, leaves and flowers from colorful batiks and a soft batik background that looks like sky. Any suggestions on a pattern or blocks to put around it to make a lap quilt would be greatly appreciated. I did buy bird border cloth for it called "Sandy's Garden", but need ideas for the blocks surrounding the applique. Maybe 9 patch or a block that resembles a flower or a mixture of blocks? This is for my 81 year old mother-in-law who loves hummingbirds. Thank you in advance for ideas!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

i would keep it simple since the main focus should be the appliqued center- so 9-patches or a variation of them would work well- a disappearing 9-patch or a jacob's ladder block (just happens to be one of my favorite blocks) , split 9-patch, ribbon blocks would also be nice- or pineapple blocks---now that i started to think about it i can think of dozens that would work- do you have a favorite block to make? the sky is the limit= just keep it simple to enhance the center. (irish chain, double irish chain, bow-tie, log cabin, lemoyne star, friendship star, ...)
Old 06-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Good suggestion to keep it simple and focus on the hummingbird applique!! I wonder if the bird border fabric will be too fussy and take away from the applique also? I guess when I get to that point, I can put it on the design wall and see if it is too overpowering. If so, maybe I can use it on the back instead - strips across the back. I have only been quilting a few years, so I don't have a lot of experience in designing my own quilts. I am not sure what ribbon blocks or pineapple blocks are - I will look those up. Thanks again! Off to looking up blocks!