Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt patterns from the 1800's

Quilt patterns from the 1800's

I was wondering if anyone might know of popular quilt patterns from the "Wild West" days. My cousin in Germany is creating his own saloon in an old barn on his property and I was thinking of making him a throw quilt to hang over a chair or something from the wild west saloon era. Anyone know of the common quilt block patterns that would have been used around that time? Thanks.
    Skeeter-Bug

I doubt there were quilts in the Old Saloons!

However, you can never go wrong with Log Cabin Quilts!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    narrow the time frame down. To my knowledge distinct patterns did not emerge or become identified until into the second quarter of 1800's

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I doubt there were quilts in the Old Saloons!

However, you can never go wrong with Log Cabin Quilts!
    Hahaha I know there weren't any IN the saloons. But I just want to make something from the era. Thanks for the Log Cabin suggestion.
    Skeeter-Bug

I was thinking 1870's/1880's perhaps. When they were in full swing
    Skeeter-Bug

Banned
    Yu might check books by Barbara Brackman. Several years ago she published a book of just pictures of patterns and their origin and date first published.
    There is also a book with title something like "Quilts from the 1800's to 1930" or so. It might give you chronology of dates of patterns.

Blog Entries
    Please excuse the question. What or when was the slave trade with th quilt blocks telling slaves what to do.?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Please excuse the question. What or when was the slave trade with th quilt blocks telling slaves what to do.?
    That would be the Underground Railroad. There are books with the quilt blocks from that era. Eleanor Burns has a very good one.

For the Wild West, these books are all about quilts of that time:

Ho for California! Pioneer Women and their quilts by Jean Ray Laury

The Quilt that Walked to Golden, Women and their quilts in the mountain west by Sandra Dallas
    Got fabric?

Great question Dottymo!
    Skeeter-Bug

Thank you Holice and Bellaboo. I will look into your suggestions!
    Skeeter-Bug

Another book, Quilts of The Oregon Trail....Examples of early quilts would be nine patch, Ohio star, crazy quilts in silks or woolens, log cabins,churn dash... these are just a few. Stay away from whites, or tea dye them when finished... concentrate on old blues, maroons, a watermelon pink and certain greens. Research old fabric in B Brackman's books. Prints were available in two colors and more colors in imported chintz fabrics. The multIcolors of the 30's and to date were not made in early America because of manufacturing constraints.

My personal opnion is to not try to be too authentic buT maybe do the cowboy boot in colorful modern fabrics, or There is a cowboy on bucking bronco applique pattern that would be darling done w fusibles, try it with various small print ground with black cowboy as if in silhouette. I have the pattern somewhere but I bet you could google it and download it free. Or, find a color book and trace something.Make it a fun project. Antoher idea would be vatious branding logos in black with checks or bandana print fabrics. Sounds like an exciting project. BTW, I grew up 19 miles west of Dodge City, KS. Dad homesteaded a farm there.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I believe a few of us will be surprised at the wealth of quilting blocks used in the early 1800s.
    Check out some of these images for many ideas.
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.95n35xbDik4

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.9ZdN4Ixmv00

Jan in VA

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma
    Well...the quilts may not have been IN the saloon...but I'll bet they were 'upstairs', if you catch my drift...LOL

Blog Entries
    Hi Phoppe, I just did a quick search on Yahoo and came up with several blocks from the 1870's. I then did a search on google and came up with more. If you search you can see the images and make a choice that way. Drunkard's Path seems appropriate. Tumbling blocks and many more also came up. I searched quilt patterns from the 1870s. Good luck.

Jan in VA - thanks to the links for pictures of beautiful quilts!

If the quilt is going to be decor then I would suggest a crazy quilt with lots of embroidery as this would be both authentic and lush.

Quote Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
    Well...the quilts may not have been IN the saloon...but I'll bet they were 'upstairs', if you catch my drift...LOL
    I was thinking the same thing dray965!! Hahaha
    Skeeter-Bug

Drunkards Path would be fun for a saloon!
    Skeeter-Bug

I'm not very good at embroidery yet but that does sound neat!
    Skeeter-Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Phoppe View Post
    I was wondering if anyone might know of popular quilt patterns from the "Wild West" days. My cousin in Germany is creating his own saloon in an old barn on his property and I was thinking of making him a throw quilt to hang over a chair or something from the wild west saloon era. Anyone know of the common quilt block patterns that would have been used around that time? Thanks.
    My guess is that a crazy quilt pattern would fit the bill. IN THE OLDEN DAYS, quilts utilized scraps------------whatever shape or size or fabric content was handy. And being more of a rough and tumble sort of place, the fine work of a more patterned quilt might be kept for the bedroom.

One advantage of a crazy quilt, you could use old slacks, suit jackets, vests, dress & work shirts. Lean toward the darker colors--------dark brown, blood red, forest green, dark slate blue, grays, some lights, but more darker stuff. Maybe quilt it with a variegated thread using all those colors.

AND IMO! for a quilt for your purpose, it would not need to be "quilting cotton" only.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Good idea GrannieAnnie!
    Skeeter-Bug

Blog Entries
    How about Delectable Mountains
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Those are cool but too skilled for this beginner.
    Skeeter-Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Phoppe View Post
    If you go to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln website: http://www.quiltstudy.org/# you can view their collection and see quilts made in the 1800's. My avatar is a recreation of an 1830 quilt in their collection with only minor modification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast