Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt patterns using both jelly rolls and layer cakes >

Quilt patterns using both jelly rolls and layer cakes

Quilt patterns using both jelly rolls and layer cakes

Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 PM

I have set aside a JR and a LK so I can make the pattern by Kimberly Einmo called Chain Saw. Here is a pic of the pattern. I really like it and it is very easy.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=118
Old 09-01-2013, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I have set aside a JR and a LK so I can make the pattern by Kimberly Einmo called Chain Saw. Here is a pic of the pattern. I really like it and it is very easy.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=118
Does the pattern call for making a half square triangle then slicing it into strips then rearranging those strips? That's the method that I use for making the delectable mountains which is basically the same pattern. I can see where you would use the matching jelly strip for the first piece of the block. You would also need two of each print on the layer cake.

I have a matching JR and LK that I bought from them. It's on my to do list. Thinking about making the one from MSQC where you slice the layer cake in two with one side being 4" X 10" and the other 6" X 10" and sewing a JR strip between them and again across the top. Should make a 12 1/2" block after that. Probably be enough JR strips left for a border or binding. Half to wait and see. Got several quilts that need to get done first. LOL - such a problem!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:16 AM

There is a Moda Bake Shop pattern called Simply Style Stacked Squares that I love:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2013/06/...res-quilt.html
Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 AM

I love the moda bake shop blog! Filled with patterns and they have tons that utilize all the pre-cuts they sell. The downside is my 'Quilts to make' bucket list is 10 miles long now. LOL.

Last edited by Old_Rosebud; 09-01-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: correct spelling error
Old 09-02-2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Does the pattern call for making a half square triangle then slicing it into strips then rearranging those strips? That's the method that I use for making the delectable mountains which is basically the same pattern. I can see where you would use the matching jelly strip for the first piece of the block. You would also need two of each print on the layer cake.

I have a matching JR and LK that I bought from them. It's on my to do list. Thinking about making the one from MSQC where you slice the layer cake in two with one side being 4" X 10" and the other 6" X 10" and sewing a JR strip between them and again across the top. Should make a 12 1/2" block after that. Probably be enough JR strips left for a border or binding. Half to wait and see. Got several quilts that need to get done first. LOL - such a problem!
Sounds pretty much the same pattern. I got the craftsy class for Kimberly and it shows to sew one print and one solid layer cake diagonally on the line then trimming one side then cutting the pc left into sections and then adding matching JR at the end
I totally can relate about how many projects as I have piles of them waiting to happen so hopefully I can start with the Christmas ones soon ;-)
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 AM

I third that Modabakeshop is the place to go. They have a search that can show you only quilts/items made with both.