Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt patterns using both jelly rolls and layer cakes

Lightbulb Quilt patterns using both jelly rolls and layer cakes

I went to Lolly's pajama sale and bought some matching jelly rolls and layer cakes. I have no idea what pattern to use. I have 2 books of patterns for them by the Lintots but nothing in them really inspires me. The only pattern I really liked I have already made. I have done online searches and found nothing to tempt me. So I decided to ask you wonderful quilters here on the board. have any of you come up with a pattern to use a jelly roll and a layer cake? Or if you have any ideas for me, I would really love it. TIA.

Blog Entries
    Missouri star quilt co. Has a tutorial called the magic square quilt that is perfect for this. Google quiltingtutorials.com
    good luck

I've found a few on Moda but I'll be watching this thread as I also have matching layer cakes and jelly roles.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    One site I like that has lots of pre cut patterns is Moda Bake Shop
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/bakery.html
    ​Christine

The '3dudes' has a jelly roll video. It could be found on Missouri star at one time.
    Good luck. I also will follow this for ideas since I have a stash of precuts.

I want to thank Christine for posting the Moda Bakeshop link. So cute!!! Lots of great ideas!
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

-Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Ioftheneedle View Post
    The '3dudes' has a jelly roll video. It could be found on Missouri star at one time.
    Good luck. I also will follow this for ideas since I have a stash of precuts.
    Thanks but I'm looking for patterns that use both the jelly roll and the layer cake of the same fabric line.

Quote Originally Posted by Conartist1945 View Post
    Missouri star quilt co. Has a tutorial called the magic square quilt that is perfect for this. Google quiltingtutorials.com
    good luck
    Thanks. I've seen this one and I bookmarked it so it might be the one I use.

Off hand, I think there are several pattern in the book " Baker's Dozen" -- don't remember the author. A hunter's star for one. I've made that one twice.

Linda in MO

Make a jelly roll quilt and use the layer cakes to design the border.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I'm pretty sure I've seen patterns on modabakeshop that use both layer cake and jelly roll.

Quote Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
    Off hand, I think there are several pattern in the book " Baker's Dozen" -- don't remember the author. A hunter's star for one. I've made that one twice.

Linda in MO
    I have that book and am making the quilt on page 87.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    I have that book and am making the quilt on page 87.
    Wrong book. I was thinking about my "Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt" book.

craftsy has a jellyroll pattern on its site

Quote Originally Posted by wudbquilter View Post
    craftsy has a jellyroll pattern on its site
    Thanks but I don't need a jelly roll pattern. I'm looking for a pattern that uses both a jelly roll and layer cake in the same pattern. I think I have found a couple that I like. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Eleanore Burns did a show on her TV series showing how to make a quilt uthis quilt using a jelly roll for the piano key border and the layer cake for the quilt-triangles. It makes a lap size, but can be made any size if you have more fabric. She showed it in various colors and fabrics and sizes. They are actually very pretty. If you go to www.quiltinaday.com you can see a larger version.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    Eleanore Burns did a show on her TV series showing how to make a quilt uthis quilt using a jelly roll for the piano key border and the layer cake for the quilt-triangles. It makes a lap size, but can be made any size if you have more fabric. She showed it in various colors and fabrics and sizes. They are actually very pretty. If you go to www.quiltinaday.com you can see a larger version.
    Thank you so much. That's 3 I have to choose from Now. Love the puppies in your avatar. They are so cute.

Missouri Star made a mistake on their Magic Square tutorial. One layer cake square cannot be framed with one jelly roll strip. Do the math. Sorry I did not do the math first and learned by sewing a strip on three sides with not enough strip left to complete the last side. Bummer! Now I am looking for a pattern that requires 1 layer cake and 1 jelly roll, minus one cake square.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conartist1945 View Post
    good luck
    Last edited by DianneByington; 08-31-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DianneByington View Post
    Missouri Star made a mistake on their Magic Square tutorial. One layer cake square cannot be framed with one jelly roll strip. Do the math. Sorry I did not do the math first and learned by sewing a strip on three sides with not enough strip left to complete the last side. Bummer! Now I am looking for a pattern that requires 1 layer cake and 1 jelly roll, minus one cake square.

This one may be of help to you and you may be able to reuse your original square and strip

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/12/...inn-quilt.html

I love the Missouri Star Quilt Co. Going there in on my "bucket list".
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I have set aside a JR and a LK so I can make the pattern by Kimberly Einmo called Chain Saw. Here is a pic of the pattern. I really like it and it is very easy.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=118
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    I have set aside a JR and a LK so I can make the pattern by Kimberly Einmo called Chain Saw. Here is a pic of the pattern. I really like it and it is very easy.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=118
    Does the pattern call for making a half square triangle then slicing it into strips then rearranging those strips? That's the method that I use for making the delectable mountains which is basically the same pattern. I can see where you would use the matching jelly strip for the first piece of the block. You would also need two of each print on the layer cake.

I have a matching JR and LK that I bought from them. It's on my to do list. Thinking about making the one from MSQC where you slice the layer cake in two with one side being 4" X 10" and the other 6" X 10" and sewing a JR strip between them and again across the top. Should make a 12 1/2" block after that. Probably be enough JR strips left for a border or binding. Half to wait and see. Got several quilts that need to get done first. LOL - such a problem!

There is a Moda Bake Shop pattern called Simply Style Stacked Squares that I love:
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2013/06/...res-quilt.html

I love the moda bake shop blog! Filled with patterns and they have tons that utilize all the pre-cuts they sell. The downside is my 'Quilts to make' bucket list is 10 miles long now. LOL.
    Last edited by Old_Rosebud; 09-01-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: correct spelling error
    I love quilting - it's cheaper than therapy!
    Swap Items
    Boom 10

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    Does the pattern call for making a half square triangle then slicing it into strips then rearranging those strips? That's the method that I use for making the delectable mountains which is basically the same pattern. I can see where you would use the matching jelly strip for the first piece of the block. You would also need two of each print on the layer cake.

I have a matching JR and LK that I bought from them. It's on my to do list. Thinking about making the one from MSQC where you slice the layer cake in two with one side being 4" X 10" and the other 6" X 10" and sewing a JR strip between them and again across the top. Should make a 12 1/2" block after that. Probably be enough JR strips left for a border or binding. Half to wait and see. Got several quilts that need to get done first. LOL - such a problem!
    Sounds pretty much the same pattern. I got the craftsy class for Kimberly and it shows to sew one print and one solid layer cake diagonally on the line then trimming one side then cutting the pc left into sections and then adding matching JR at the end
    I totally can relate about how many projects as I have piles of them waiting to happen so hopefully I can start with the Christmas ones soon ;-)
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast