Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt police could have got me for sure last night! >

Quilt police could have got me for sure last night!

Quilt police could have got me for sure last night!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
KLO

I have something called a Magnistitch that is strictly a magnifier (no light) that is two pieces. One is the magnifier part and the other sticks on to your machine to hold the magnifier. You can ever buy extra mounting pieces so you can use the magnifier part on other machines if needed. Also, I was told a while back to NOT look directly at the needle when stitching but rather slightly ahead so you can see where you are going. (When you are riding a horse you are suppose to do that also.) That did help me. The SID foot would probably be a great help too. Also, it's easier and more accurate to stitch on the side of the "stitch ditch" that does not have the seam allowance underneath. Seems like you can sort of hide your stitching in that ditch rather than having it sit on top. Hope that makes sense!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Sorry for me chuckling, but I know exactly what you are talking about! I use a bendable bright light and an edge stitch foot. It has a thingy in the center that guides you right in the ditch.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Wobble stitch works Great. I also can't sew in a straight line
Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Hey, Ladies: I had the same problem but one of the members of our guild suggested that instead of stitch in the ditch do the fancy stitches on the sewing machine and it looks great; Use a different decoratiave stitch for each line or the same; it came out easier and looked better. Just a suggestion from the wabble line.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gings View Post
Why don't you use one of the built in stitches that is like an elongated S that looks good as a different approach to stitch in a ditch as it is meant to be seen.
Jenny
This is a good idea. Have used this and other decorative stitches. Really looks nice. I also love my stitch in the ditch foot.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 AM

It probably isn't as bad as you think. But I've just tried FMQ on my Janome and wow...it was really easy to actually do. I've only done SITD type of quilting before but this is so much easier. I mean, it isn't easy to get the stitches the right length, but the actual sewing...so much easier. Of course, I was only doing small blocks as well and not a whole quilt.

SITD isn't really as easy as some might think.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Wink I'm with you!

I know exactly what you mean. I tried, and TRIED to do SID but it always looked terrible. So I just use the presser foot as a guide and stitch close to the seam. At least it looks better. I think I would like to try a decorative stitch one of these days.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM

I gave up on the stitch in the ditch foot. Pfaff has a totally open toe foot and I can see where I'm headed better. The machine also has the built in walking foot. So using the lifter, sew slow, and needle down, I've had better luck.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM

Love the new 6 light LED strip that attaches to your machine -expensive but have an on and off switch and give off a lot of light