Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt police officer in the making *sigh* >

A quilt police officer in the making *sigh*

A quilt police officer in the making *sigh*

Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Every teacher I have had taught me "HER WAY" to do such and such. I use her way in class and go home and do it my favorite way. She obviously has only taken one class. Wait till she takes a few more and ask if she still thinks her first teacher was right.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Maybe you can try one more thing ,like make her a badge to wear if she starts in. But listen ,some things may work better for you. Take it with a grain of salt and smile. You will feel better.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Ugh - I took a quilting class and my instructor was quite good. However, on some things she is quite "by the book" I took one of my quilts to her for quilting and when I went to pick it up, she showed me another quilt she was working on. She said it was ugly and didn't I think so.

I said "if there is one thing I have learned in quilting: we all have different tastes, so what is ugly to you isn't to the creator". I kinda hated saying it but it is true.

The person who took quilting lessons with me, came to me later and said "oh I found so and so and she is fabulous, she knows more than our original instructor". Well I met Ms Fabulous. I told my friend "yeah, she's great at what she does and as long as you don't mind being in her box....well you will be great at what she does".

Truthfully, I have learned so much from this board that sometimes my brain is too full of things I want to try. Can't sleep at night trying to work out a schedule to get it all in.

OPEN MINDS are what is great and take you everywhere you want to go:)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM

We might be kindred spirits!

Originally Posted by deedum
I know some of those quilt police, the perfectionist and some not so! That curl up their nose and look down it at you! Been there as I have only done this now 3 yrs myself, bottom line is I DON'T LIKE THEM! It is a form of being a bully if you let them. I have decided that I am a "free spirit" of quilters. I do what I want or feel or have time for even. That is just my style! It works for me!Don't see it changing. One thing I learned it do what works for you! I would let her know, "I will do what works for me and when I give my quilts away they are loved just like they are"

Did I mention "the free spirit quilters" just drive the quilt police nuts?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that because they take A class, suddenly they are experts. We have a person much like that in our family,BUT, that is a whole other story!

You might mention to your "Quilt Police" person that most all quilting classes are taught BY OTHER QUILTERS! Yep, people just like all of us! Only difference, they are getting paid for their knowledge from the school of hard knocks. Do they still make mistakes? YOU BETCHA! Only difference is they tell everyone about their mistake and show a road much easier.

I have taught several classes and the very first thing I tell the class is I AM BY NO MEANS OF THE WORD PERFECT. If you have a thought of how something can be done easier PLEASE say something. Then I say "Basically I'm here to show you what NOT to do and why."

Now, for just a bit of a giggle. WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU A TRUE STORY. TAKE ALL FLUIDS AND SOLIDS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH.

My sister and I went to a quilt retreat. Several of our friends were there but one of our friends brought her daughter. This was her first time to piece a quilt. Just like all new babies, all mother hens were taking her under our protective wings. Our baby finished her top and decided she wanted to go ahead and quilt it herself. My my my how fast they want to flee the nest. We all got her started and she was having so much fun every now and then she would giggle and say, "I thought it was illegal to have this much fun without alcohol!"

Having her in a good way, mother hens went back to our own projects. Suddenly, some old CROW came up to her and was literally staring over our chick's shoulder. "MY GOD! You should be SHOT for quilting this so poorly!" said the old crow in a tone for EVERYONE to hear. Our new quilter immediately went to tears and sobbing. Since I was at the same table with our new quilter, needless to say I really felt like I needed to chime in on this. My not possessing the best of manners or etiquette decided to yell at the old crow, "YEAH, WELL WHO DIED AND PUT YOU IN CHARGE BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET THAT MEMO!" What folks weren't setting with their mouths gaped open were really having a pretty good laugh at the expense of "THE OLD CROW". Well, crow quickly turned on her heel to seek out the host of the retreat. Me, being the person I am, followed her. Now, this next thing was better than any Mastercard moment you could ever imagine. Crow goes up to the host, in a fit of rage starts telling him how rudely she had been accosted. I was proud to hear that she could repeat my statement word for word. Not missing a beat, our host said "Okay, so.....who died?" I nearly fainted from laughing so hard.

Yes, you may go to the bathroom now.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM

That is priceless. I hope she will think before she opens her mouth again. Hope this didn't turn off the 'chick' from continuing to quilt.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
One up her. Just say, "I belong to a quilting board that has everyone from newbies, like US, to people that have been quilting for over 50 years. The group I'm in has quilters that have made quilts that are displayed in museums around the world and have won blue ribbons in world wide competitions. They've been wonderful at offering advice and helping me and the one thing that they're most adamant about is that there's no "right" or "wrong" way. It's supposed to be "whatever works" for the person doing the creating. If the instructor in your class said that there's right ways and wrong ways then he or she needs to broaden his/her horizons."
I love that answer.... maybe I can remember it.
I guess I must be pretty scary because people don't usually offer me advice unless I ask for it.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I generally just say "how nice for you" and go on with my happy life.
LOL... May I borrow this?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM

That is the greatest thing about quilting.......there are so many ways to accomplish the same thing. Each quilter has to figure out which way they prefer.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM

What is that oft-used French phrase:

Viv la Difference -- hooray for the differences.

If there is only [one right way] there would only be one style of quilt, all the same size, and all colored the same. What is right for you is just as valid as what is right for the other person. I wouldn't get your feathers all ruffled over it. Just smile politely and thank her for her input -- then go back to what you like doing.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware

P.S. I like Hondas, but who would ever drive a Chevy -- LOL!
Isn't one-up-mans-ship silly.