Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt police officer in the making *sigh* >

A quilt police officer in the making *sigh*

A quilt police officer in the making *sigh*

Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by joan_quilts
When I am teaching people how to quilt, I tell them they have to make sure they are cutting accuaratley, have to know the 1/4 inch seam rule, and the rest is preference. I can show them short cuts, but as long as you are happy with your work, that is what matters.
Now that's a teacher. :D

For the 'new' quilt police, next time she does this, lean back a smidge, look her straight in the eye, slightly raise your eyebrows, do not break contact, do not speak first, wait her out, see what she does.
I'm betting she will find that quite uncomfortable and hopefully make the connection that HER behavior is making you uncomfortable as well.
Nothing is more ridiculous or annoying than a newly taught proselytizer.

Jan in VA
Perfect response!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

One up her. Just say, "I belong to a quilting board that has everyone from newbies, like US, to people that have been quilting for over 50 years. The group I'm in has quilters that have made quilts that are displayed in museums around the world and have won blue ribbons in world wide competitions. They've been wonderful at offering advice and helping me and the one thing that they're most adamant about is that there's no "right" or "wrong" way. It's supposed to be "whatever works" for the person doing the creating. If the instructor in your class said that there's right ways and wrong ways then he or she needs to broaden his/her horizons."

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Ask this question, "Why?" If she can answer it with a technical response, then I would listen to her because she is trying to help you.

For example, there are several things you do the "correct" way due to bias issues.

Otherwise, it is a preference and she is being the quilt police.
Yep and the rule for measuring for your borders by measuring the center of the quilt and half way between the center and the side of the quilt and making your border the average of the measurements. It really stinks to have your quilt measure 4 inches longer on one side because you just put the material on there and sewed until you come to the end of the quilt, then cut the border off! I actually gave a quilt back to a customer because one side measured 110" and the other side was 114"! Doesn't work on the longarm very well!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM

no i dont and if one should show up at my house im sure they wont be here long !!! i would tell them the same thing you did. its MY way to make MY quilts !!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM

the journey is less important than the destination. I believe that it doesn't matter how you do it as long as it looks great finished, you are a sucess.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Excellent replies raptureready and lovingmama!! You might also ask to see her quilt police badge, with a laugh. Then with more laughs, tell her you are glad she doesn't have one cuz quilt police are NOT allowed around you and your sewing!!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Had to laugh at that. There are newbies taking classes that think their instructor is the expert and there are no other ways. Give her a chance to take classes with other instructors and see what happens. There are those that love to criticize, it won't last too long.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM

I feel she is shorting herself. My first love is hand applique qnd I kept trying different techniques, needles, threads that would be suggested to me and because I did this I finally found the perfect way for me. You have to be open minded.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 PM

I have become an applique fanatic. There must be a gazillion different ways to applique, and I don't have time to learn them all (but, I'm trying) I don't think any are right or wrong, just preferable to the quilter. If she is a good friend, give her the raspberries and just keep on with what you are doing
Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 PM

{But now every time we talk she'll say "the way you do "X" (insert technique) is wrong. I learned in my class that you're supposed to do it this way". Oy. :hunf: }

Oh boy, oh boy do I completely understand where you are coming from. A friend who was in nursing school actually told me that what I had learned in my nursing school days (a three year hospital based school compared to her community college classes) was WRONG...not outdated as I had suggested....BUT WRONG!

Yeah - right. May I die at home.
I like your approach and I would find ways to minimize encounters. I suppose we must forgive her insecurity.

:roll: