Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Room in Basement? >

Quilt Room in Basement?

Quilt Room in Basement?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 PM

My sewing room is also in the basement and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am a messy sewer and would not want the mess in my house. And as someone else said, you can leave your mess till you get back and it is still there, no one sees it but you. I call it "my office" and don't bother me.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 PM

I have my sewing room in the basement and don't have any problem.I love it down here.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 PM

I had a quilt room in a walkout basement alas it was cold in the winter, old house no central hvac. A dehumidifier in the summer was great. It wasn't till I moved to this house that I found my serger had suffered because of the cold damp winter, rust....I am going to have to take it to the dealer to be overhauled...arg...
Having all that room was great though. I painted the walls a soft sky blue with clouds, it gave a fresh look. My present space is only 7x10 and I need to get rid of fabric, garment, to make better use of what little space I have.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 AM

My sewing room is in the basement and I just love it. Remanant carpet on floor, lots of space, and radio, or Tv if I so choose and no one to bother me. Yeah:) Do run a dehumidifier in the summer.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Sounds good.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 PM

In south Ga, our water table is so high that we don't call them basements, we call them swimming pools.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a plan.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

My sewing room has been in the basement for over 20 years. I love it..we also have a TV room with my office area there and there is a powder room. The other space is taken up with pantry space and laundry room. We have heat for winter and we use a dehumidifier for the Chicago humidity in summer. I really would not have it any other way. I can keep the pins and threads out of the 1st floor. I have stucco walls that are white and use fluorescent lighting..never feel in a dungeon. I use those thick rubber interlocking tiles on the floor by the ironing board and by the cutting table..eases my feet and legs as the floor is painted concrete which is great for maintenance. I need to add that we are "high" and have never a water issue in this area.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM

My sewing space is in the basement. An unfinished basement, at that. I have a play area for the kids and then my sewing stuff. My basement has no moisture, so that isn't a worry, but there is very little light, so I've had to set up a few lamps. It works for me, and it's much nicer than taking up my whole kitchen table. When I'm mid project, I hate to clean everything up...and when I was working in the kitchen, I had to do it several times a day!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 PM

I have had my sewing in the basement for 20 years. I love it. I do have a dehumidifier running in the summer.. I have a fireplace down there if it's too cool in the winter (but it's seldom too cold for me!) I have a ton of stuff and it's not in anyone else's way.. I like having my own space where no one cares what I do or when I do it!

The only thing you'll need differently than any other sewing area is a lot of light. My basement is unfinished so those gray walls absorb light.. I just have lots of light and task lights for the machines..