Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Room in Basement? >

Quilt Room in Basement?

Quilt Room in Basement?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 PM

I live in Wisconsin and thats where my sewing room has been for years. Mine is finished with insulation and laminate flooring. I
I also have a dehumidifier going which helps and there is some heat in the winter. Dampness would be your biggest problem. Good Luck.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I have 'one of many' sewing areas in my basement...guess you can say it's the main one. No special things done for the machines or fabrics. Just a dehumidifier run in the summer but that would happen normally. The dehumidifier makes even dry basements smell so much better!

I also love my area down there because it's right next to the washer and dryer and laundry gets done very easily and quickly. If I quit for the day, I can leave the area just as it is and come back to it a week later and it'll be the same as I left it. No worry about someone moving something or company coming over!

Go for it! Provide adequate lighting fixtures and task lighting at your machine, and a radio and you should be fine.

I have a treadmill and a stationary bike downstairs and they're NEVER used!
I found my stationary bike in my bedroom came in very handy for hanging things on! That was all I used it for:)
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM

I have a beautiful room upstairs lots of light lots of room but I am seriously considering moving downstairs into the basement. I would have more wall space and I would have room for a couch and chair and I could have visitors if I wanted. The room upstairs is stuffed with my stuff and I would have about five more feet of space downstairs.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM

I also sew in the basement sewing room. Additional lighting is helpful.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:33 PM

My sewing room is in my basement. I am also in Wis. No water issues, but to be on the safeside we went to Home depot (we were refinishing the basement anyway) and got 2 rolls of this rubber nub stuff (hard plastic nubs, comes in big rolls about 3' wide, apparently this is also used for outside basement walls for drainage, so it was int he aisle with gutters, drainage tubes, etc...). Each roll was about $60, took 2 rolls to do the entire basement, then we laid laminate flooring over it (if you use laminate you don't have to put a subfloor oevr it). It made a HUGE difference in keeping the basement warm and dry, no longer feels like a basement.

And I have a dehumidifier that I run in spring/summer.

Another note - can lights (recessed lighting) give off heat and warm the basement. We replaced our flourescent lights with can lights and this also helped keep the basement warm.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:29 PM

I am also putting mya quilt room in the basement. Although my husband is taking his sweet ole time.Of course if we had more money might help.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM

i AM SETTING UP MY QUILTING AREA IN MY BASEMENT..BUT IT WAS WHERE MY SON AND DAUGHTER=IN LAW LIVED FOR 7 SEVEN YEARS. GREAT SPACE FOE ME.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by WisconsinCheryl
I am considering the idea of organizing a sewing/quilting area in my basement. (I live in Wisconsin so we have basements here). Are there any special considerations when keeping your machines in the basement? I do not have any water problems in the basement area so I am pretty sure my machines are safe from water. I also keep a dehumidifier in another area so that helps the dampness. I have three pieces of exercise equipment near by so when I get bored with quilting I could jump on the treadmill....hmm, don't think that will be happening much.
I am in the UP of Michigan and have my sewing room in the basement. I love it. I painted it yellow so it is bright, I have no windows that obstruct where I can put thing. My DH and I put the stick down carpet squares on the floor and we also have in the floor heat. Makes it nice and toasty. I love being in my own little world in my sweat shop! I think you will like it.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Mine is located in the basement as well. Problem is, I feel a little isolated there. Can't check on anything cooking or tend to the laundry. Of course, maybe that's a good thing.
That is the same way I feel about it.