Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt room storage >

Quilt room storage

Quilt room storage

Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 AM

I've seen pictures of your quilting rooms and I have a question before I add storage to my space. Do you have a problem with dust if your shelving is open and not behind doors? I can't imagine everyone dusting their fabric stash! Open storage is less expensive, but is it worth the savings? Thanks for you input...as always! Maxine
Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 AM

my storage is open, but my room is on the dark side, I have to turn lights on even in daytime to see, so you need to careful about sunlight and fading too. I hopefully plan to be moving my stash around and using it so I hope no dust gets to rest!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 AM

When I 1st started I had my fabric on open shelves. Now, I have them in closed drawers,containers or cabinets to not only protect from dust, but from light. The exposed edges of fabric will fade & I like to utilize all the natural lighting I can get in my sewing room.

Originally Posted by MaxineB
I've seen pictures of your quilting rooms and I have a question before I add storage to my space. Do you have a problem with dust if your shelving is open and not behind doors? I can't imagine everyone dusting their fabric stash! Open storage is less expensive, but is it worth the savings? Thanks for you input...as always! Maxine
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I find I get dust in the closed storage too. The fact is there is no way to avoid dust unless you use the storage tubs with a lid on them. I have the storage containers that have 3 drawers in them and I still get some dust in them. I don't know where the dust comes from but it is there.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 AM

If My fabric is in the open I have a sheet covering them. Keeps the dust of. My room has indirect light. works for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

I have open shelves, closed shelves, closed and open boxes - seems to make no difference. Dust has never been a problem. Light was the problem fading the folded edge of fabric on open shelves. I bought ray-blocking shades which seem to have solved that problem.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I have my fabric on open shelves but in clear totes. I found some zipper bags on ebay for a good price and am going to convert my stash into them instead.
I have too many cats who love to sleep on fabric so I've always had to keep it covered :)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by earlylace
my storage is open, but my room is on the dark side, I have to turn lights on even in daytime to see,
My room is dark, as well. That's one of the advantages -- you can't see the dust.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 AM

I have some of my fabric in open shelves. I haven't noticed a problem with dust.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I keep my fabrics in a cabinet, various totes, and boxes. I try not to leave it out in the open. (fading/dust)
If you leave your shelves open, perhaps have a sheet you can hang in front to protect form light, and maybe help with dust~