Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt shed >

quilt shed

quilt shed

Old 08-01-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
I have a "mother-in-law suite" (converted 1 1/2 car garage) and I love it! Refrigerator, washer/dryer and full bath. I use it for a dressing room for my alteration customers. I bought the house because of this studio! I don't need a full kitchen, but love the bath, I embroider as well, so I can "leave the room" without really leaving. My machine knows when I am gone, and acts up! AC/heat, all the comforts of home (minus the bed). I could live out here!
First of all I envy your mother-in-law suite. But I thought my embroidery machine was the only one that acted up when I walked away.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 AM

A summer kitchen was sometimes in another shed--close by-- which could be used for canning, etc., that would not heat up the main house prior to air conditioning.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Virginia Woolfe was right- every woman needs "A Room of One's Own"
I borrow this quote all the time.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 AM

Actually, I have decided that it is one of the requirements built in to all embroidery machines - if it does not detect human heat within 5 ft, it is required to "act up" !
Old 08-03-2017, 04:13 AM

I had the summer kitchen set up before I owned a LA - and it worked out well to rebuild the building (reused the foundation only). I have induction cooktop in the house and can't use the big aluminum canners on it, so I have a coil cooktop in one corner of what now has my LA set up in it. I also have on demand hot water - and the waste water drains to outside the building. I have a double utility sink too. And a small fridge.

the building is insulated and heated in the winter. I have a window AC and use that when I'm working out there. Has a dehumidifier too. The sewing machine collection side has a really nice workroom too. I have a separate insurance policy on the contents of the building too.

I really like having a place that I can leave something on the frame and not worry about it. It was a tight fit in the dining room, and was right next to the wood stove. So we ended up not using the wood stove as much as we use to. that room didn't have doors either, so I could never keep the cats away. they weren't super bad, but every time I left a quilt on the frame more than a few days, they'd decide it made a nice hammock to sleep on.

There is no way I'd walk more than a few feet away from the LA when I'm using the computer driving part.