Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shop in Alaska >

Quilt Shop in Alaska

Quilt Shop in Alaska

Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 AM

Wow...awesome find!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Beautiful batiks. Wish the shop wasn't so far away! :-)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
Hahaha just got back from Alaska. First stop was Skagway. Wouldn't you know there was an absolutely divine quilt shop there. best thing is that DH really loved all the batik fabrics and asked if HE could pick some out! I think he did a good job. Now to design a quilt. Any thoughts??

Maybe something like "Warm Wishes", you could use your focus fabrics for the centers of the blocks and fussy cut those. Love those fabrics, may have to order some online as my daughter just returned from a 2 week on and off shore cruise. Thanks for showing and your hubby did an awesome job on his selections. I could not locate the leavy one. Good Luck and be sure to post when completed.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Great fabrics, but no definite pattern that I would use comes to mind.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM

I've been there a few times and bought several yards of fabric. At our last port of call, I load all of my treasures into a tote bag and head straight to the post office to shove it all into a flat rate shipping box to send home! Skagway really needs to open a post office closer to the quilt shop instead of way past the Red Onion Saloon.

They do have a great selection of fabrics on their website too!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
Hahaha just got back from Alaska. First stop was Skagway. Wouldn't you know there was an absolutely divine quilt shop there. best thing is that DH really loved all the batik fabrics and asked if HE could pick some out! I think he did a good job. Now to design a quilt. Any thoughts??
I kitty sat for my next door neighbor about four years ago when she went to visit her brother and she brought me back a whole bunch of batik fabrics with the Alaskan designs on them. Absolutely gorgeous. The fabric feels sooooo good and the colors are so vibrant as are in your fabrics. Actually, I have some of them. They are so lovely. I used some of the fabric in a sampler quilt I made for the same neighbor in which she could identify with the fabrics and remember the trip she took to see her brother.

I just happen to love sampler quilts and I put them in a lot of the blocks that I make. The colors match together so nice. If'n I had more Alaskan batik, I would make a table runner or a table cloth. Napkins also, if you bought enough fabric. A pillow cover would be nice and also a bag.

My mom made a bag a few years back (she's in Heaven now) and it was all done in batik. I got the bag for my sewing and it is gorgeous. That's another idea. Get out the cup of coffee and look at and feel the batik. It is such a rich feeling.

Mom taught me how to feel the fabric. Better than a glass of Tawny Port!! Edie
Old 09-04-2014, 04:36 AM

beautiful fabrics I love them sorry, I am too new to suggest a pattern, but I bet it will be absolutely beautiful whatever you choose, if you are starting with beautiful fabrics, the quilt has to be beautiful too.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:38 AM

I have been to the same shop. I loved it. DH saw a quilt on the wall and hinted broadly to get the kit. He met a cousin that was on another ship while on Skagway.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:39 AM

Great fabrics. I went to Alaska on a cruise this summer and come home with a duffle bag full of fabric and a package that was mailed home was waiting for me. Dh helped me pick out some things when we were in the shops.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 AM

Thanks for all the great idea! Am thinking about a simple disappearing nine patch with blue/greens. The fabric is so beautiful I don't want to carve it up. I have enough to do a throw. Any thoughts???