Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shops Closing >

Quilt Shops Closing

Quilt Shops Closing

Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 AM

When is your shop closing? Planning to stop there enroute to Paducah.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM

yes, the only shop in our little town announced it was closing last week. we have a great community of quilters in the area so i'm hoping someone will open another shop soon.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 AM

One shop closed here recently, but it was really more a sewing store than a quilt shop. We weren't surprised, it had problems from the start, didn't really offer much for quilters ... plus 3 much better LQS nearby
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 AM

One of my fave shops closed a couple of years ago, it broke my heart. They had a wonderful selection of styles and colors not to mention a line of very good machines. I think the root of the problem was the landlord doubled the rent which forced the shop to relocate to one which wasn't as good as the original one. Factor into the problem, illness in the family, having to work "8" days a week, and needing to keep their other job for the med insurance. I used to go in there to see quilting friends, and get my creative juices going. Am still mourning the loss.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 AM

Much excitment, a new LQS is opening tomorrow. Exsisting LQS is owned by a bit of an orge. The new shop was on line but is now shop front. Lots of modern style fabrics.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Our sales rep says this will be a very difficult year for small shops. Her (inside) view - and her territory covers several states - is that it is difficult for them to afford to stock a wide enough variety to entice customers to come in. That's sad, because we love to cheer for "the little guy"... and in this case, the little guy is at a distinct disadvantage.

I think this year is going weed out anyone who has not been making wise business decisions.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Our sales rep says this will be a very difficult year for small shops. Her (inside) view - and her territory covers several states - is that it is difficult for them to afford to stock a wide enough variety to entice customers to come in. That's sad, because we love to cheer for "the little guy"... and in this case, the little guy is at a distinct disadvantage.

I think this year is going weed out anyone who has not been making wise business decisions.
Agree ... I was in a shop here last week that I haven't been to in awhile ... it USED to have the most wonderful selection of fabrics but I was shocked to see how LITTLE fabric they had now. They had even stacked all the empty shelves behind the front ones ... I've NEVER seen that happen before :(
Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM

We only have one that I know of here in Port Charlotte, Fl. and they are still here no plans to sell. Sue
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

We lost 2 of them this past year. One left in town, and several still in outlying areas.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Yep, we had three in our small seaside town in the South West of England three years ago. Now we have none. Why? Lots of quilters here so can only guess that internet has had an effect. But there is nothing like seeing fabric, feeling it and stroking it.