Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Shops have personalities, too!

the Cozy Quilter Louisville Ky. nicest people and very open and organized

My favorite is the Quilting Cupboard in Rochester, MN not too far from the Mayo Clinic. We also have Grubers in St Cloud. That place is huge and if they don't have it you probably don't need it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well in June I'm going to my GDs graduation. I have a sister who live in Huntington and will definitely spend time with her. She know all the shops in her area and lived near a lot of Amish. I have relatives who live in rural towns. don't know if I'll have time to see all of them but going to try. I'm a 5-10 minute drive within 3 shops alone. I have their numbers on speed dial. The Singer Sewing Center, The Quilt Cottage and Heirloom Elegance. You can also get ideas for organizing your quilting rooms from them. Just walk through the door.

Yea! shopping at 55 MPH is hard to do. that was most of the way I used to have to visit quilt shops when we traveled. Now I say stop park, I'm going into this or that shop.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I frequent an amazing quilt shop in Laporte, TX named the Painted Pony. They have the largest selection of fabrics, notions, and finished samples I have seen. All of the ladies working there are quick to assist in any matter. They offer classes that vary from beginner to pro. Mr. Charlie, the Janome sales/repairman is also great to help out with any machine issue. If you are visiting Texas in the Houston/Pasadena area please be sure to stop by for a cup of coffee, a fresh baked cookie and an enjoyable visit!

Blog Entries
    Don't know why but this just popped into my head...DH travels a lot & when he takes me to a fabric store he looks & points out fabric to me. Maybe I can ask him to look for a LQS when he's staying in some town & go buy me a couple of yards of quilting material just ask a sales clerk to point him in the right direction.

In Kansas City we have several nice shops, Prairie Point in Shawnee, Kansas, and Rustic Yearnings in Kansas City, Missouri are two that I frequent. Also, Missouri Star Quilt Company is just an hour up the road off I-35. I was there Saturday. Everyone there is so friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    We have Wilson's in Hagerstown, MD, http://www.iluv2quilt.com/ . It's billed the prettiest quilt shop in western Maryland. It's Mennonite owned and operated. Just a really nice place to visit.
    We visit the dinner theater downtown yearly from IL and Wilson's is ALWAYS on my list of must sees. The clerks there are wonderful and I love all the sample quilts and fabric bundles. I'm full of inspiration and packages when we leave. LOL

Shipshewana, IN is about an hour from me. Yoder's and Lolly's are there and are very nice. A little farther south in Rome City is Caroline's Cottage Cottons which I really like. Just got back from a trip to North Carolina to pick up our daughter from college, so had to make a stop at Mary Jo's Cloth Store. Love it, prices are very good!

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Anytime I'm in Albuquerque,NM, I always make sure to visit Kokopelli Quilting Co. Great fabrics and people.
    Love , love this shop. Mary Jo and Viv and the rest of the gang are great. My BFF lives in Albuquerque and SouthWest Decorative is always, always on my list of things to do. Before the Tea Room but after the margarita's-LOL
    It is the ONLY brick and mortar quilt store I shop at-I use Todaysquilting.com and Nancy for my online shop!!

When we visit our daughter in Bentonville, AR, a visit to the local Bella Visit quilt shop (Village Quilting) is a given. The people are so friendly and helpful. I love seeing the new fabric, projects and kits available. And it is a time to catch up too. There are other shops in the outlaying areas that have a different stock (i.e. civil war, mod, etc.) .

I am like a kid in a candy store!

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

bearisgray - I think my husband is related to yours. :O)
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

I agree. I , too, like Windy Moon in Reno. I also like the QuiltHouse in Gardnerville, NV. I miss New Pieces and Always Quilting in the SF area, Back Porch in Pacific Grove, CA and a place in Healdsburg.

I like Scrap Apple and Let's Quilt in St. George, Utah (plus some of the smaller shops). I also like New Moon Textiles in Pasadena (?) and Sew Modern in LA. I also liked the quilt shop in Sitka.

There are many others that I would love to visit. Definitely, would love to get to Paducah and see Hancock's.

You are so right. The shops have their own way of doing things and that's part of the appeal. There was a lovely shop in Phoenix Arizona (I hope it's still there) called the Quilted Apple. When I lived there, I was there almost every week. In Sevierville, TN, there's a sweet little shop called "The Cherry Pit." If you're ever visiting Gatlinburg, it's well worth the little side trip. Mary Jo's, which someone else mentioned has one of the biggest fabric collections around and nice people to boot. I've been in shops, though, that aren't particularly welcoming, or in which the stock is in disarray. That's as offputting as a pleasant shop is welcoming.

Our 2 nice local shops closed. I miss them. One was owned by an elderly woman who passed away, and when her shop closed, I assumed it would boost business for the other shop, but they soon closed, too. It is still in business online. The overhead is lower that way. Also, our Jo-ann's moved and expanded, and they began to carry some better quality quilt fabrics that make it harder for independent local businesses to compete.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

The Hickory Stick in historic downtown Hannibal Mo. Great place, great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by terriquilt1 View Post
    Shipshewana, IN is about an hour from me. Yoder's and Lolly's are there and are very nice. A little farther south in Rome City is Caroline's Cottage Cottons which I really like. Just got back from a trip to North Carolina to pick up our daughter from college, so had to make a stop at Mary Jo's Cloth Store. Love it, prices are very good!
    I work at Caroline's. (It's me...Cindy!)
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I was just at Lolly's last Saturday. Spent 45 minutes digging thru the fat quarters in the boat. Found 25 that suited my fancy. I had two non quilting friends with me but they had fun digging too. I love Shipshewana!!!

Blog Entries
    We were on an RV jaunt last year, and I was delighted to find the quilted gardens in the Shipshewanna, IN area - by a brochure at the Indiana Welcome/Visitors Center. What a beautiful place to visit! We didn't stay overnight or shop, but it was such a lovely place!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

I love the quaint little Fabric shops. Unfortunately, in our area, we don't have ANY. However, we do have a very large fabric store about 30 (?) miles away. It has everything from upholstery material, batting, backings 108" wide on rolls, fleece, cottons, quilting fabric, all sort of trims, buttons, pre quilted panels for babies, notions, templets, fancy material for gowns, lace, and I could go on forever. It is about l/2 the size of a small Wal Mart store. AND, their prices are fairly reasonable. It is called Wilson's and is located on the main highway in Boaz, Alabama.

I agree with you on Grubers...such a variety and the displays are wonderful.

My DH and I are campers. We travel about 4 months of the year in our camper. We stop at many small town quilt stores and yes, they all have their own personalities. We went through Wisconsin and Minnesota and each shop had their own favorite favorite line. One shop was mainly batiks and one was the Northwoods, one was Moda. I love two shops here in Illinois : Havana, Illinois on the Ohio River has a fantastic quilt store called "Ma's Got a Notion". Another quilt store I love is in Staunton, Illinois and I think it's called "Family Variety Store". We have a quilt store in Highland and Troy Illinois that are very good too. I always buy at least a FQ from every store I go.

LOL, YEAH RIGHT???????????????? I love you giving a look, would of loved to see your expression!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I also love the Cotton Cupboard when I make the trip to Bangor, ME. Not too far from my home, 62 miles more or less.

When traveling to see our son and family in GA and on our way to FL, I love to stop at The Scarlet Thread in McDonnough, GA 30 min south of Atlanta (depending on the traffic!!!!).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast