Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shops Vancouver >

Quilt Shops Vancouver

Quilt Shops Vancouver

Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 AM

Default Quilt Shops Vancouver

Hi

Does anyone know if there are any quilt shops, Jo-Anns in or a short rail or bus journey from centre of Vancouver as I will be there for a weeks holiday later this year.

Margaret R
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Do you live in America?? You will be shocked at the increase in prices for fabric in Canada.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:35 AM

The Cloth Shop, Granville island(not really an island) short bus journey from centre, I think you could also walk, we stayed in the Westin, I have mobility issues but hubby seemed to think it wasn't far. There is a lovely quilt shop, going from the UK prices were good for me and the exchange rate was good, not sure how the prices convert to US dollars. There also a few others. There is a great public transport system in Vancouver.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:25 AM

We were in Alaska last July for 2 weeks. Amazed how many quilt shops there were. I guess the winter evenings are loooonnnnng and coooolllllld.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:46 AM

I live in Blaine WA. USA Just about 30 miles from Vancouver BC. I can't tell you about any BC Quilt shops but I DO know that a ton of BC Quilters swarm to our JoAnn's in Bellingham. We also have several lovely Quilt Shops in Bellingham and Lyndon which I frequent. I like to buy local. Most of the Quilt shops are $9.99 (or less) a yard. I agree with ManiacQuilter2. Fabric price in BC are shocking. good luck !!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Hamel Fabrics is located in Chilliwack, about 50 miles from Vancouver. Check their website. Prices are quoted in Canadian and U.S. Dollars. I did a quick check and quilting cottons seem to be about $10.99 U.S.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Do you live in America?? You will be shocked at the increase in prices for fabric in Canada.
True, but considering the current value of our (Canadian) dollar, and the 10% extra fabric you get because we sell by the meter, I don't think it's so bad these days.

That said, am I the only one who didn't wonder Vancouver, BC, Canada, or Vancouver, Washington, USA?

Assuming it's the former, The Cloth Shop, as someone else said, is about it for Vancouver (and it is tiny). But Granville Island is a must-see anyway and easy to get to from downtown, so drop by
Old 03-23-2016, 05:37 AM

thank you for your reply. I live in the UK. Eill see how far that Jo-ann`s is from where I am staying

Margaret
Old 03-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Definitely agree with spending time on Granville Island. Check out RoseHip Hats if she is still in the main public market! I so regret not buying one when we were there. They are a bit pricey since they are handmade but absolutely beautiful! I want to go back just so I can buy one!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I the only one who didn't wonder Vancouver, BC, Canada, or Vancouver, Washington, USA?
No, you're not the only one. But I live in Vancouver USA and am used to everyone assuming I mean BC.

When I say I'm from Washington, they assume DC.

When I say Portland, they assume Maine.

Finally (back in the 80's) I started saying "near Mt. St. Helens" and everyone said "Ohhh, ok, Seattle!"

Sigh.