Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt show freebies - HOUSTON

Quilt show freebies - HOUSTON

Hello to all, and please send greetings and warm wishes to my tired but satisfied FEET because I went to the Houston quilt show yesterday with a friend who doesn't quilt or sew but was so amazed, it was fun looking at it through her eyes.

But I digress. The show was wonderful, the quilts were beautiful, the vendors were nice, and I discovered a nice trick. While talking to a longarmer vendor, I asked what they did with the demo quilts from the frames. Her reply was "sometimes we send it back to corporate, sometimes we just throw it out. Why, do you want it?" Um, dog shelters, use the fabric for bags, or if you're really bored, rip out the stitching and save the fabric.....gee, let me think, oh sure, why not, let me take it. So she gave me two, and the smaller of the two is about 4 yards long! Since people have been playing freemotion on it all day it's not the prettiest, but for a dog shelter, that's not the important thing, nor would it be if I were going to rip the stitches out either.

So I wanted to pass along this tip since we quilters are also the ultimate recyclers, and with the cost of fabric and batting, who can pass up some (at the very least) free batting? Couldn't you just re-use this as batting in a dark colored quilt?

And I'm also posting a pic of my absolute favorite quilt from the show - this brought tears to my eyes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

that quilt is amazing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful ,Thank You for sharing.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

oh wow and for those with cats- that is a great visual of the truth- put a quilt down and a cat will surely lay on it.
    that quilt took my breath away -even from viewing it on the computer. thank you for sharing it!

Blog Entries
    that's such a great tip. it always saddens me when useful objects go to the landfill. and thanks for sharing that wonderful quilt pic
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    That is just awesome.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Absolutely a work of art! I can almost hear the cat's motor purring...

Good for you asking questions of the vendors... you never know till you ask!

Blog Entries
    What a fantastic quilt. It looked great on the computer, but seeing it "live" must have been awsome, thanks for sharing

I hope to be there next year!

Power Poster
    Great save! It could definately be cut up for dog blankets, burp clothes, baby changing pad etc. Wonderful quilt, thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    oh my word, and i thought the one with the Bear in it was gorgeous. Cats roar!!! beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    The blocks in the quilt are Puss in the Corner blocks. How creative is that quilter's thinking? It is the best idea I've seen for a quilt in years.

Now as for the long arm vendor throwing away the demo fabric quilts. Shame on them! I'm glad you thought to ask about it.
    Got fabric?

Wow! This quilt is gorgeous!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Holy moly that's beautiful!! I've never been to a quilt show, but I will do so in 2013. I can't wait to see the beautiful works of art, like you've posted. Thanks for sharing! This is the type of work I aspire to someday.

Yes, that is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for posting and telling us a bit about the show.

What a work of art! Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a cat person but that is one awesome quilt!

That quilt is to die for, Thanks for sharing the picture.

Great minds think alike. I also wondered that and talked to a few of those vendors and said they should donate them to a local quilt guild for Linus quilts, dog beds, etc. As we were walking past one of the booths, Martelli's, the trash was being collected and you would not believe all of the scraps. Just think of all of the scraps created by GO!, Accu-quilt cutters, etc. What a waste to go in the trash. If they donated them to organizations, think of the publicity they would have.

Then when we got to the Linus booth I mentioned they should talk to the long arm vendors and ask for the squares and demo pieces.

Blog Entries
    I've seen this quilt (or a finished one just like it) and was in awe. It is truly a beauty!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I love that quilt too! Whenever I lay my quilt blocks on the floor my fur baby, Buddy, likes to watch and then plop himself down on it. I can pick him up and take him elsewhere in the house but he comes back.
    Carol

Yes, thank y ou for sharing. I have been u nable to go for the last few years. It is thoughtful of you who went to post photos.
    Lizzy in La.

Speechless here!! Thanks so much. Why aren't there tons of ribbons on that quilt???????
    Pat

[QUOTE=quiltlin;5635981]Great minds think alike. I also wondered that and talked to a few of those vendors and said they should donate them to a local quilt guild for Linus quilts, dog beds, etc. As we were walking past one of the booths, Martelli's, the trash was being collected and you would not believe all of the scraps. Just think of all of the scraps created by GO!, Accu-quilt cutters, etc. What a waste to go in the trash. If they donated them to organizations, think of the publicity they would have.

My quilt guild chapter is the recipient of a win-win idea from a long-arm quilt machine seller in our area: they take our pieced charity quilts with backing, and batting, and quilt them at shows or in the store when they are demonstrating their machines. We get them back just needing binding -- win-win!

]

[QUOTE=Lee in Richmond;5636358]
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlin View Post
    Great minds think alike. I also wondered that and talked to a few of those vendors and said they should donate them to a local quilt guild for Linus quilts, dog beds, etc. As we were walking past one of the booths, Martelli's, the trash was being collected and you would not believe all of the scraps. Just think of all of the scraps created by GO!, Accu-quilt cutters, etc. What a waste to go in the trash. If they donated them to organizations, think of the publicity they would have.

My quilt guild chapter is the recipient of a win-win idea from a long-arm quilt machine seller in our area: they take our pieced charity quilts with backing, and batting, and quilt them at shows or in the store when they are demonstrating their machines. We get them back just needing binding -- win-win!

]
    What a GREAT idea!!! The only drawback is that it may not be quite as pretty as you might hope for...but between this idea and collecting scraps from other vendors, what great scrappy ideas! And a great bargain for the price of admission to the show!
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast