Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Quilt Show - is it worth it?

If I had more time to devote to my quilting habit, I would do it. I often watch the free shows on my laptop while I'm making dinner, but I just don't have the time to do the classes and really take full advantage of the site. For now, I will just buy a show here and there that really interests me.

I believe I would rather spend that money on fabric or something else. I have enrolled in classes on Craftsy and love them, but sitting in front of the computer for too long isn't my cup of tea. As one other member said, there are so many free things on the 'net why pay for more. That said I'm the one who enrolled in classes, duh.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Senior Member such a sew and sew's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't subscribe to any magazines . But I've been a member since it started. I love the show and feel it's the best teaching show out there.
    Song: "Keep your eyes on the prize."

Blog Entries
    I don't sit in front of my laptop. I watch the shows on my Kindle Fire. I can access any show when I'm sewing to follow the instructor's steps. My waiting time is now my computer time. I have't been in a waiting room that didn't have wi fi. I ask the receptionist for the guest password. The Kindle remembers it for the next time. The days I'm away from home are the days I have more computer time. I'm always waiting somewhere.
    '
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
    I get their newsletter but only do the jig saw puzzle when they include it. They do have freebie patterns someplace on their web site.
    Oh my! I do the same thing - I just wasn't sure if I would really watch and use the membership so to date I only do the puzzle.

Hmm I just got a Kindle Fire, may have to rethink a membership or not, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by butterflies5518; 05-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I received an email offering a full year of The Quilt Show for $39.95.
    Check out the activities waiting for you this year:
    • 26 inspiring, informative shows hosted by Alex Anderson & Ricky Tims
    • More than 20 classes taught by talented artists such as Jinny Beyer, Patsy Thompson, & Nancy Prince. Plus new classes all year at no extra cost!
    • Stunning "Sedona Star" Block of the Month program designed by Sarah Vedeler--includes a full year of patterns (a $90 value) plus monthly video tutorials
    • Contests and Give-a-ways of fantastic quilting tools

It looks like a great offer. Any members want to tell me if it is worth the price?
    I like the show and all the extra's thrown in. Worth the price

mah
    I won a 6 month subscription to The Quilt Show and have thouroughly enjoyed it. I am thinking about renewing the subscription. I love to watch the videos and read about all the different quilters they interview and see all the different quilts from all over the country. Ricky Tims is a hoot!!!

It's one of the few I'm on that I will always renew (unless I just can't afford it at all for some reason). You don't get access to older shows ( I joined in series 4, and couldn't view anything earlier than 4...but even though half way through the #4 season, I got them all). Now, when I renew...I get access to one prior series, a free show from one of the other series & a 6 month gift subscription for a friend. I usually give the subscription to someone on one of our groups who play a free bingo.

Lots of good information...though...was not thrilled with the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I received an email offering a full year of The Quilt Show for $39.95.
    Check out the activities waiting for you this year:
    • 26 inspiring, informative shows hosted by Alex Anderson & Ricky Tims
    • More than 20 classes taught by talented artists such as Jinny Beyer, Patsy Thompson, & Nancy Prince. Plus new classes all year at no extra cost!
    • Stunning "Sedona Star" Block of the Month program designed by Sarah Vedeler--includes a full year of patterns (a $90 value) plus monthly video tutorials
    • Contests and Give-a-ways of fantastic quilting tools

It looks like a great offer. Any members want to tell me if it is worth the price?
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the magazine, but when i went to the Paducah Quilt Show this past year, i was not impressed, i did meet alex and ricky and i still wasn't impressed, when i walked up to the booth where Ricky was standing his back was to me, no one else was their, i wanted to ask about one of his quilts, so i said excuse me, can i ask about your quilt, and he said i would have to wait for some guy to come back and help me, i said "why" do you not know about your quilt he seemed agitated at me, so i said why bother doing these shows if you are not going to talk to people who are interested in your quilts?? no answer so i walked away, and i met alex at the booth with another lady helping her and there were probably 3 or 4 people there but she was letting the other women do the work, she wouldn't talk or mingle, i was dissapointed, so i walked away from that booth also.
    Mary

forgot to mention...Free classes with well known quilt piecers, long arm quilters, home machine quilters...just a little bit of everything for every level quilter out there.
    Marge
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

I am a member and I love the show. I often bring my lunch to work and look at the shows on my lunch hour. Some of them are more interesting to me than others but I usually watch them all. I always learn something from them. I am more of a traditional quilter but I am fascinated at the "vision" art quilters have....will probably never do one but I love to see where their inspiration comes from.

Oh, yeah! Great show, lots of info and free patterns for members. go for it...SandyQuilter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2