Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Quilt Show - is it worth it?

Blog Entries

The Quilt Show - is it worth it?

I received an email offering a full year of The Quilt Show for $39.95.
    Check out the activities waiting for you this year:
    • 26 inspiring, informative shows hosted by Alex Anderson & Ricky Tims
    • More than 20 classes taught by talented artists such as Jinny Beyer, Patsy Thompson, & Nancy Prince. Plus new classes all year at no extra cost!
    • Stunning "Sedona Star" Block of the Month program designed by Sarah Vedeler--includes a full year of patterns (a $90 value) plus monthly video tutorials
    • Contests and Give-a-ways of fantastic quilting tools

It looks like a great offer. Any members want to tell me if it is worth the price?
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Power Poster
    I used the free days a couple of months ago and did enjoy it. For some reason my big computer's security will not allow me to view any adobe features so it would not benefit me. I don't know if you can also see older classes but they have had some great people on there.

Blog Entries
    I think it's worth it. Lots of great online classes and the shows are very informative. I belong to The Quilt Show, QNN TV, Fons and Porter's video site, and Crafty. I won't renew F&P but will the others. If you have Norton security, ditch it. That program won't work with most quilt related websites that has video and pdf files.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-18-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Got fabric?

I was a member for a while. I already sit at the computer all day for work because I am a computer programmer. The last thing I want to do at night is sit at the computer again. I used to tape Alex Anderson and the other quilt shows on TV and watch it while I was quilting. I can't do that for the Quilt Show and I found that I was not using the service. I did get the directions for one of their Block of the month quilts But I finally decided that a pay for use computer quilting show was not of much use for me.

I was a charter member and enjoyed their offerings, but I just can't sit still for it anymore. Too many episodes went unviewed.

Blog Entries
    not for me. it was sad when Alex joined Tims in asking for money.

Blog Entries
    There are many, many more things/quilting on the web for free. So why would I want to pay?

Miss Alex on PBS for free!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    I am a member and enjoy the site. I watch the shows on my laptop while I am sewing. My membership is due in August and I will be renewing again. Very, very few sewing or quilting shows on in my area.

I LOVE THE QUILT SHOW! And I love Alex and Ricky. Not every show is perfect but I look forward to every ever Monday's show. I use the forum for help in whatever I want to ask about just like here. They have extra features all the time from other sources. It is like a quilt guild that you don't have to leave your home for. I think it is worth every penny.

My question is would you use it? I know I will get all excited about something like this , start it only to relise that I'm trying so many things, I really don't get anything finished! LOL then I get frustrated and have boxes of UFO's all over the place. Then I stop to catch up on UFO's and decide I really don't like the pattern, technique, or forgot, cann't understand instructions. LOL My quilting time becomes 0. Good luck what ever you decide it does sound fun.

Blog Entries
    Those that haven't seen the shows have no clue if it is worth it or not. You can buy just one show and decide for yourself. The patterns are worth the price without the shows.
    Got fabric?

i really enjoy The Quilt Show. I only subscribed to QNN.tv once.

When a friend of mine renewed her membership last year, she was able to give someone a gift of 6 months free...and I am the lucky one who got it. I wish I had more time to visit the site, but do love what I do watch, and the programs I have missed are still there for me to watch....anything that was available during my membership remains available to me, even if I don't renew. My renewal comes up next month, and I am planning on renewing...I do get a lot of inspiration from the shows I have watched.
    I agree that it would be a good idea to buy one of the shows to watch before deciding, and there is a lot of free things you can check out on the site too.

I think it's terrific. It gives me lots of ideas, both traditional and contemporary.

I get their newsletter but only do the jig saw puzzle when they include it. They do have freebie patterns someplace on their web site.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    I also joined once and found it just was not for me I really enjoyed her tv show that was only a half hour long and I did buy lots of books during that time but if I want to sew I can only spend so much time on the computer and there
    is so much free stuff here why pay for something you tube is full of instruction and I have books and patterns I will never use so why buy more really depends on whether you would use it or not never hurts to try for a year

Seems like good deal, but there's sooo much free stuff, I can't even find time to try all the things I find on here for free. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I won a subscription and used it a few times. It takes too much time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I used the free days a couple of months ago and did enjoy it. For some reason my big computer's security will not allow me to view any adobe features so it would not benefit me. I don't know if you can also see older classes but they have had some great people on there.
    Tartan, if you have an Apple computer it will not allow Adobe Flash. They aren't compatible...could that be it? For instance, if i try to use my iPad with Adobe Flash or .wmv files, it won't open them. I haven't heard of a security system blocking things like that. But then, I learn something new every day.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I really enjoyed the shows that I watched from two $50 subscriptions and one half year for $29. They have cheaper membership now, but can't afford until other bills are finished with. The shows are entertaining as well as informative.

Yes Yes Yes worth every penny. I put my laptop next to my sewing machine and enjoy the show while I am sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    not for me. it was sad when Alex joined Tims in asking for money.
    I belonged when The Quilt Show first began but never really got into it. I loved Alex's Simply Quilts as I found it when I first began quilting and Alex and her guests really taught me how to quilt. I was a member of Alex's message board and through it found so many online quilting friends, a few of which I see at least once a year at Lancaster.

I attended one of Alex's Retreat in her home town of Livermore, CA and found her as sweet and unpretentious as she appeared on Simply Quilts. She didn't push us buying her fabrics and books, they were on tables in the hall outside of our retreat classroom and we helped ourselves and wrote down what we bought. That"s why I also find it said that she has been asking for money on the new show.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Tartan, if you have an Apple computer it will not allow Adobe Flash. They aren't compatible...could that be it? For instance, if i try to use my iPad with Adobe Flash or .wmv files, it won't open them. I haven't heard of a security system blocking things like that. But then, I learn something new every day.
    You might want to call Apple support. I can view The Quilt Show on both my MacBook Pro and my iPad. I love the show!

I was a charter member and enjoyed some of the episodes, but I am not one to sit in front of a computer for an hour and view a show. I did not renew after the first year.

I have never been a fan of Alex Anderson; I think she is just too "commercially minded." JMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast