Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Quilt size

  1. #1
    Senior Member BDor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    o
    Posts
    373
    I am making my GD a "Hugs" quilt. I am just using up fat quaters that I have had for a long time and need to get out of my stash(so I can buy some more). lol The blocks are 12" and the size seems odd to me. She has a full size bed and I laid this out on my full size bed and it covers it. I am really making it for her to use to wrap up in to watch TV and snuggle on the couch. I will be backing it with flannel. It is going to be 69" wide and 92"long. I did not want to add another row of blocks across because I really don't have any more fat qt. that will go with this and I am running out of time as I need to get it to the quilter by next week. Is this size just too strange?

  2. #2
    Super Member Quilt4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    9,035
    Blog Entries
    1
    No. How do you fell about it? Go by your feelings.You can always add a borderto it .

  3. #3
    Craftybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wendell, NC
    Posts
    596
    I THINK A FULL SIZE BED IS 54 X 75, IF YOU ARE MAKING A QUILT FOR THE BED THE IT SHOULD BE OK BUT IF YOU ARE JUST MAKING LIKE A THROW JUST FOR HER TO LAY AROUND WITH THEN IS WAY TO BIG YOUR ARE BETTER OFF MAKING A TWIN SIZE WHICH IS 39 X 75.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BDor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    o
    Posts
    373
    Craftybug wrote
    I THINK A FULL SIZE BED IS 54 X 75, IF YOU ARE MAKING A QUILT FOR THE BED THE IT SHOULD BE OK BUT IF YOU ARE JUST MAKING LIKE A THROW JUST FOR HER TO LAY AROUND WITH THEN IS WAY TO BIG YOUR ARE BETTER OFF MAKING A TWIN SIZE WHICH IS 39 X 75.
    This size it with borders. I am making it so she can use it on her bed too but know she lays in the floor to watch tv and will use it there too.

  5. #5
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    How old is your grand daughter? It really doesn't matter. If she likes to lay in the floor to watch tv or play or whatever, she is going to love the fact that it is longer than it is wide........she can set more stuff up on it to play or have that much more to cuddle with it........I say go for it like it is! :D

    Linda D.

  6. #6
    Senior Member KellyPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    614
    I think if you like it, then it's a great size!!!!! You being happy and your grand-daughter loving it is all that matters!!!!


  7. #7
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    There are some standard sizes here;

    http://quilterscache.com/StartQuilti...iltingtwo.html

    I prefer a larger quilt myself, to put around pillows and to avoid problems with cover theives.

    My very first was a trip around the world.

  8. #8
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    Quote Originally Posted by BDor
    I am making my GD a "Hugs" quilt. I am just using up fat quaters that I have had for a long time and need to get out of my stash(so I can buy some more). lol The blocks are 12" and the size seems odd to me. She has a full size bed and I laid this out on my full size bed and it covers it. I am really making it for her to use to wrap up in to watch TV and snuggle on the couch. I will be backing it with flannel. It is going to be 69" wide and 92"long. I did not want to add another row of blocks across because I really don't have any more fat qt. that will go with this and I am running out of time as I need to get it to the quilter by next week. Is this size just too strange?
    add another 3" to each side only and that will give you a 10" drop on the sides. the length will generously cover the pillows.

    butterflywing

  9. #9
    Senior Member CindyBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    739
    I prefer a larger quilt myself, to put around pillows and to avoid problems with cover theives.
    LOL..cover thieves are the worst!

  10. #10
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,683
    I make all mine between 58 X 70 to 60 X 72 and it is perfect to snuggle on the couch with my hubby says.

  11. #11
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700


    if the gd is not sharing a double, then 10" drop should be plenty. i would call that a bed quilt and make a snuggle-quilt at 60 x 60. then the lucky girl would have two made by granny. the big one is way too big and it would be shame to take at apart after all that work. by the way, i'm new at posting so can someone tell me what lol means?

  12. #12
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    laugh out loud.

  13. #13
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,734
    I've found approximately 60 x 80 inches is just about perfect for an adult's couch quilt - and it's still large enough to be useful as a cover when napping on a bed - or as a single bed covering.

    It's big enough to cover me (the most important person in my house LOL) without a lot of extra fabric to wrestle with.

  14. #14
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,734
    If two people are sharing a cover on the couch, the longer length would be nice.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Posts
    1,429
    I'm a bit surprised about how narrow you have that set to be. I've found the best double sized quilts to be square somewhere between 85" x 85" to 88"X88". But we're not a tall family.

    All this aside it's your quilt and you should feel free to make it whatever size you prefer. Especially if you're thinking of it as a snuggly tv quilt. How old is your Granddaughter? Is she planning on going to college? Reguardless of what she has now all dorms have standard twin or extra long twin sized beds. That 69X92 will fit very well on a dorm bed.

    I wouldn't go any narrower than 69" for a full. Just last night I had the quilt I'm currently working on laid out on a full sized bed. (my quilt is going to be a king and it is growing from the middle out, and is now currently 70" square) and 70" hit the edge and went past it no more than 5" on the sides. I don't think it was wide enough to cover the sides of the matress. Which would mean when the bed is made the sheets will show.

    I hope I don't sound like a the grump of the group, but I have slept on a double bed all of my life.

  16. #16
    Senior Member BDor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    o
    Posts
    373
    No Elizabeth you don't sound like a grump I asked to see what everyone thought.

    It will mostly be used to snuggle in, my GD is 14 and they just moved in a new house and took the extra bedroom by hers and put her desk, computer, tv and a couch in there and that is where she spends most of her time, even sleep in there a lot. So that is why I did not try to change it because I don't think it will get much bed use.

  17. #17
    bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I prefer a larger quilt myself, to put around pillows and to avoid problems with cover theives.
    I agree - have three cover theives (the cute little faces in my avatar)!!

    I would think that size is fine. It sounds big enough.

  18. #18
    Super Member Lucky Patsy's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,253
    Cat cover thieves are the very worst!!!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Posts
    1,429
    LOL, and here I thought cat pillow theives where the worst?

    Don't forget to show us photos when you're done! :D

  20. #20
    Jean Mathews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Freeport, Texas
    Posts
    122
    I say make it any size you want.

  21. #21
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by BDor
    I am making my GD a "Hugs" quilt. I am just using up fat quaters that I have had for a long time and need to get out of my stash(so I can buy some more). lol The blocks are 12" and the size seems odd to me. She has a full size bed and I laid this out on my full size bed and it covers it. I am really making it for her to use to wrap up in to watch TV and snuggle on the couch. I will be backing it with flannel. It is going to be 69" wide and 92"long. I did not want to add another row of blocks across because I really don't have any more fat qt. that will go with this and I am running out of time as I need to get it to the quilter by next week. Is this size just too strange?
    add another 3" to each side only and that will give you a 10" drop on the sides. the length will generously cover the pillows.

    butterflywing
    wow! if i did that it was a total accident!

  22. #22
    Senior Member SazuBMidlands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    There are some standard sizes here;

    http://quilterscache.com/StartQuilti...iltingtwo.html
    I took a look at this, as I'm currently making two baby quilts, and I'm not sure of the size. For a crib quilt it suggests 50" x 53", with seems nearly square. At the moment I have 3 x 4 10" blocks, so 30" x 40", and was going to put about a 5" border round. What size does everyone else make baby quilts?

  23. #23
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    I agree with the rest of them. Make it whatever size you think is best. Maybe take it and sit on the couch with it, cover up and see if you have the right lenght/width.
    I too have cover/pillow thieves, the 2 legged AND 4 legged kind!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.