Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilt stores SD and Wyoming

quilt stores SD and Wyoming

I know this is early, but I will be traveling to Mt. Rushmore, Custer City, Rapid City and Yellowstone in the next 7 weeks. Naturally, I would love to know of any quilt stores in those areas! You gals always have the best advice!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Blog Entries
    Deb, we did Mt Rushmore last September, and I got some help with quilt shops from folks on another quilting site: Rapid City has the Quilt Connection; Heartsong quilts in Hot Springs; there's a really nice one on the main street in Hill City (I can't recall the name.) These were all very nice places.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We loved everything there, but were especially impressed by our trip through the badlands. I really enjoyed going through Custer State Park, too.
    Cathy

If you go through Cody, WY be sure to check out Friends & Co Quilt Shop. What route will you take from Rapid City to Yellowstone? I know of other shops depending on your route.

Rapid City has Quilt Connection & Fabric City. Hill City has Hill City Mercantile. Spearfish has Dakota Quilt Co. and Sturgis has Junction Fabrics. That's all I can think of right now. I hope you enjoy your visit to this area!
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

I am not sure exactly where you are going, but Sturgus, Bel Fourge, and Spearfish all have a quilt shop worth stopping for. If you are taking I 90 from Rapid through Wyoming the Bel Fourge is the only one out of your way.

A few years ago, we went to the Quilt Show in Rapid City. It should take less than 5 hours from where I live to get there, it took a car full of quilters 10 hours to get there. We stopped at those shops I mentioned in the first post.

Blog Entries
    not sure if Greybull, Wy is near your trip but BigHornQuilts is there. no longer online though.

Julie has completely closed her store, Big Horn Quilts in Greybull, WY, I think due to health reasons, and we really miss her. There is a quilt shop in Worland, WY if you go thru there, it's Heart-N-Home.
    I just found this link from the Wyoming State Quilt Guild and bookmarked it: http://wsqg.org/shops.htm, and also found this link where you can search by state: http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.com/index.html (hope it's okay to insert these)
    I see many shops that I wasn't aware of - there may be a road trip in my future :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Cass62 View Post
    If you go through Cody, WY be sure to check out Friends & Co Quilt Shop. What route will you take from Rapid City to Yellowstone? I know of other shops depending on your route.
    We are flying into Rapid City, then driving to Custer City and staying there. Then on to WY from there....the most direct route, we are staying halfway from Custer City to Cody, WY on the way to and then back to Rapid City to catch the flight home.

Quote Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
    Deb, we did Mt Rushmore last September, and I got some help with quilt shops from folks on another quilting site: Rapid City has the Quilt Connection; Heartsong quilts in Hot Springs; there's a really nice one on the main street in Hill City (I can't recall the name.) These were all very nice places.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We loved everything there, but were especially impressed by our trip through the badlands. I really enjoyed going through Custer State Park, too.
    We are excited about this trip....do plan on going through the badlands....

You can check out The Quilters Fix in Sheridan, WY, and if you happen to come through my town (Worland) there is Heart 'n Home as Tinker mentioned. There is a tiny shop (ET Quilts) in Buffalo, WY also. You guys have a great trip planned and I know you'll have fun.

Rapid City has 3 shops, Quilt Connection, Betty's Quiltery, and Fabric City. Hill City has one shop on Main Street. The shop in Custer has closed. There are quilt shops in Edgemont and Hot Springs, also one in Sturgis, Spearfish and Belle Fourche. Have fun shop hopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Cass62 View Post
    You can check out The Quilters Fix in Sheridan, WY, and if you happen to come through my town (Worland) there is Heart 'n Home as Tinker mentioned. There is a tiny shop (ET Quilts) in Buffalo, WY also. You guys have a great trip planned and I know you'll have fun.
    We are staying in Sheridan WY on the way to Yellowstone!

Tuesday is the trip day! I have been watching Terri from Junction Fabrics - Sturgis SD, and plan on stopping in. We are also over-nighting in Sheridan WY on the way and back from Yellowstone! I am sure to stop in The Quilters Fix. Thanks for all the heads-up on the stores!

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Tuesday is the trip day! I have been watching Terri from Junction Fabrics - Sturgis SD, and plan on stopping in. We are also over-nighting in Sheridan WY on the way and back from Yellowstone! I am sure to stop in The Quilters Fix. Thanks for all the heads-up on the stores!
    I must be very tired from packing and looking for quilt store. It is Fabric Junction in Sturgis.....good thing I am not sewing, I would probably be ripping!

Don't forget to pick up your license plates! There are 8 stores around the Black Hills area that are participating in the Row by Row Experience. I'd love to get out there just to pick them up. I live on the east side of the state, and can't justify going that far this time of year.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

You might check Google to see what quilt stores are still opened. Mt Rushmore is so awe inspiring and Yosemite is so beautiful. Have fun.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Back home! Met Terry in Sturgis SD, and the store is known as Fabric Junction but the web site is Junction Fabrics (Fabric Junction domain was already taken) She is delightful and gave us a great history of the area. Quilters Connection in Rapid City was fabulous! They have the new Prairie silhouettes from JRJ on display....oh....too bad the suitcase was reaching the weight limit. I was able to take a shop card and they will ship! Went to the one in Sheridan, WY...there is LOTS OF STUFF, I couldn't even begin to take it all in. They have a very large room just for classes, and on display some of the quilts that just came off the long arm.