Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt top for coffee table

Quilt top for coffee table

I need help. My college g'daughter bought a small coffee table and she wants to cover it with quilt top. There will be thick foam padding underneath the quilt top. The quilt top will be attached to the table with upholstery nails - all the way around. Should I at least put a backing under the quilt top and maybe stitch in the ditch. Or, make the seams 1/2 inch for better stability. She doesn't want quilting done on it. Just the top and the foam pad. She picked out 8 great fabrics. Thank you in advance.
    Hand quilting preserves my sanity.

Blog Entries
    I would back it with muslin. When doing upholstery, you would put the foam on the frame, then cover it with canvas or muslin & tack down. This fabric takes most of the stress of holding the foam in place. The fashion fabric goes on top, which again is often first lined first. Look on you tube for ideas.
    Your idea of half inch seams is also a good idea.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I Also agree with a backing like muslin and 1/2" seams for added strength. SID would also be good. Maybe she can cover it with a glass top?

Thank you for your suggestions. I found a few videos on YouTube that is helpful also. I can't wait to get started.

What is supposed to happen when the quilt top gets dirty (assuming it's not covered with glass)? If there's no backing it won't be washable, but if it has a backing and is quilted it could be removed from the table and laundered.

Interesting concept. Never thought of that. Is there any way a glass top could be added so the quilt won't get dirty? Something I might have thought of in my college days in the 70s if I was a quilter at the time which I wasn't.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I would love a picture when you are done. It sounds like such a great and interesting project.

I recently came across a website that had the chair and ottoman below and would love to do something similar some day. Wonder if it would help to use a heavy fusible stabilizer instead of muslin? I wouldn't want to use muslin since I would not want it be quilted... Hope you post pictures when she has it finished.
    Name:  Quilted chair and ottoman.jpg
Views: 2088
Size:  38.9 KB

I am going to back it with muslin and then do some stitching in the ditch. I showed her the picture of the ottoman and she likes the large squares and rectangles. Thanks for the suggestions.

I made my mom a wall hanging that she used as a table topper for her coffee table. She never covered it and had a candle accident on it (LOL- wax dripped). She still talks about how much she liked the quilt and wished she didn't get wax on it. I can't remember where the wax spot is so I suppose she could cover it up, but she doesn't use it anymore at all...

So the moral of my story is be careful with well used/ well loved table toppers.

Blog Entries
    with the muslin and the 1/2" seams. I would also attach a strip of fusible interfacing to the fabric side where it will be stapled to the underside of the table. This will give it a protection from ripping at the staples.

Good info from paper princess

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I would back it with muslin. When doing upholstery, you would put the foam on the frame, then cover it with canvas or muslin & tack down. This fabric takes most of the stress of holding the foam in place. The fashion fabric goes on top, which again is often first lined first. Look on you tube for ideas.
    Your idea of half inch seams is also a good idea.
    Instead of nailing the fashion fabric (pieced quilt) to the table, consider putting elastic around the edge so it is washable? (Think fitted sheet) as long as it would work on that particular table style of course. I have wonderful fur -kids and visitors that can spill things.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denice_a View Post
    I recently came across a website that had the chair and ottoman below and would love to do something similar some day. Wonder if it would help to use a heavy fusible stabilizer instead of muslin? I wouldn't want to use muslin since I would not want it be quilted... Hope you post pictures when she has it finished.
    Name:  Quilted chair and ottoman.jpg
Views: 2088
Size:  38.9 KB
    Oh my goodness Denice, I love that chair and ottoman! If only it came with instructions. I have a sofa that has Victorian style wood edging like that that really needs refinished, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    with the muslin and the 1/2" seams. I would also attach a strip of fusible interfacing to the fabric side where it will be stapled to the underside of the table. This will give it a protection from ripping at the staples.
    Great idea. I've never used fusible interfacing but I will give it a try.