Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt top vs quilting joy?

Ok I am going to admit it in print. I LOVE making quilt tops and absolutely HATE the quilting part. Am I alone? I go all bang up on making the tops, hours, I never get tired then when it comes to putting them to the backs, and quilting.. I dread it. I wait til the last minute. Any suggestions on how to make it .. fun? I could make a queen sized top each month or two twins no issue.. not very warm those tops. Nor are they exciting to receive I think.

Not at all! :D Piecing is always the best part for me. Choosing colors and patterns - seeing your vision coming to life. It's exciting and fun.

Once I've got the top finished, the rest seems almost chorelike at times. Especially the binding, which I absolutely DETEST.

I don't know how to make it more fun but I'll be checking this thread for ideas. I tried FMQ on my last quilt and I did find that to be more fun than just ditch stitching.

Blog Entries
    I'm right there with you too. Right now I have 2 large and 2 small quilts ready to finish. Instead, I join swaps and start new projects.

I can relate to that. I tried something different with this last one. I am almost done a lap qult for a gf who is a breast cancer survivor. I did part of the quilting by machine, now I am handquilting the block centres. Kind of a nice change as I can work on it and still spend an evening with my hubby. A little less monotonous than all machine quilting...and adds a little more character. This also allows me to have more than one project going...I have piecing going on in the sewing room, and finishing in the LR.

Patti

I can get the tops done, and then do hand quilting with the ladies at church and we can get them done! It helps doing them with friends!

Blog Entries
    I'm like you - love the piecing, but hate the quilting!! Even with the frame my DH made me, it's still a 'chore'!
    I tend to put it off until I can't anymore.
    I also love doing the binding! I hand sew the back part while watching movies on Lifetime or Hallmark channels! :wink:

I am not a hand quilter......... lucky me I have two girl friends who have longarm quilters......
    I keep saying that I am going to do a quilt as you go & at least quilt one quilt by hand....... It is just so much easier to have one of my friends do the quilting. :oops:
    I just never got that rocking motion down.... when it come to the hand quilting......... Have thought about getting an Aunt Becky and try that.
    Scrap Quilter

Not a hand quilter at all!!!! Bindings are hard enough for me to complete!!

I have a new toy, a Mega Quilter maching with the Inpira frame and hopefully I can master that well enough to help me quilt my 10+ tops!!!!

Gosh, I'm not the only one. I figure it's all ok though, if I were to die just the tops done, I'd still have something to "give". If I concentrate all my efforts on the total thing, I'd get bogged down. So for now, I have a pile of tops, but that is better than a pile of scraps!

I must be then the only one who hates the top part, but love the quilting. I make tops because otherwise I don't have abything to quilt, even though I am about to jump into a whole cloth quilt.

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I must be then the only one who hates the top part, but love the quilting. I make tops because otherwise I don't have abything to quilt, even though I am about to jump into a whole cloth quilt.

Maria
    Would you like a couple dozen tops to quilt????;)!!!!! LOL!

Maria
    No, you're not the only one, because as I was reading this thread I was thinking that I was the only one! I enjoy the piecing o.k., but as I'm doing it I'm always thinking that I want to hurry up and get to the quilting because that's what I really enjoy. Once I start quilting it and have it in my hands, I feel like I "have something" going on now. And I love doing binding, it's like putting icing on a cake. Of course, I do mine all by machine, so might feel differently if I were doing it by hand. But the quilting and binding are actually my favorite parts of the whole process.

There are two things I've found to make the quilting more fun ....
    - quilt as you go, so you're not trying to maneouver the whole thing around the machine throat
    - using machine embroidery stitches as the "quilting" along the seam lines, I've having fun playing with the variety of stitches - it's only a 30-stitch machine.

I did up a little sample of all the stitches on a rectangle so I can see better what the stitches look like. And you can play with stitch length, variegated thread, etc, too.

Cheers,
    Linda

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quilt as you go is certainly easier and you kind of have a little "quilt" every time you finish a block.

Maria
    I like making the tops, but my favorite part is the quilting. I love free motion. I put an music and could quilt all day. See, your not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaM
    using machine embroidery stitches as the "quilting" along the seam lines, I've having fun playing with the variety of stitches - it's only a 30-stitch machine.
    That's a really good suggestion, Linda, thanks! I fall out of the ditch a lot of times when doing a straight stitch so if I were doing a decorative stitch it wouldn't be noticeable.

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    I hand quilt and that is the best part I feel the quilting makes a quilt come alive.

I'm relieved to know I'M not the only one! I like piecing but I'm not crazy about the quilting part either. I tried a quilt as you go technique (without the sashing, which I don't like because it changes the whole pattern), but ended up with a bump where it got joined (and I KNOW I measured perfectly, lol!) I'm actually one of those who likes to do the binding, too, because I can be part of the family and do it on the couch while watching TV with everyone and not be huddled away in my sewing room. Plus it means I'm on the final stretch with my project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Quilt as you go is certainly easier and you kind of have a little "quilt" every time you finish a block.
    Do you (or does anyone) have a tutorial to recommend? I feel like my brain gets tweaked when I read articles about the "as you go" method. It is one thing that has me stumped and I would like to learn.

Thanks in advance.

I love piecing and quilting. It is just that I am a hand quilter and there are so many things I want to do and by hand quilting it takes me forever and I hesitate to start a new top when I have so many things still to be quilted. I also love the hand sewing part of the binding.

Blog Entries
    Put me down as one who enjoys making the tops more than doing the quilting. DD keeps reminding me that I haven't yet finished the baby quilt for her daughter who turns a year old this week. Good thing the quilt isn't so much a baby quilt as a little girl quilt. I finally got the quilting done and am now working on the binding. Hope to have it done in the next few days.

I also have two or three other tops waiting to be quilted.

I have a box full of quilt tops to be quilted:) My prob is it is such a ordeal to baste, even w/pins on the floor and then cram it in my machine...:)I usually prep 3 at a time and get them done that way...:)I am thinking a quilting machine would make it soooo much more fun!:)LOL Am working on that!:)I also do some by hand...but, time is the prob w/me sometimes:)

Blog Entries
    Thank you thank you thank you! That is exactly what I needed - I am so visual. I will DEFINITELY try it. Wonder how it looks with random stripes and scrappy?

I think it would turn out just great! Here is a link to one I did, PM me for some tips

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17398.page

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast