Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill

Exclamation Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill

I saw a Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill today. Price: $6.99.
    Your thoughts?

Someone will give it a good home. Who knows what happened in it's history for it to end up there.

A good deal?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

One part of me thinks .. I'm just glad it got sent to Good Will and not just tossed. There are potentially lots of reasons it ended up there.

I agree, there's no telling how it ended up there.

If you bought it, you might consider donating it.....

It is a sad thing, but we will never know what all happens in the life of a quilt, especially a charity quilt. I occasionally come across Project Linus blankets in thrift stores or garage sales, and I buy them simply out of respect. I then remove the label, which I think releases the spirit.

Blog Entries
    i would not leave it there... it needs to go to a proper home
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I appreciate the Quilts of Valor project and admire what is being accomplished but, and this is my opinion only, the strictly red, white, and blue color scheme can be a bit off putting. I believe some service men and women would love a quilt but Red White and Blue can be very 'busy' to someone recovering from a head injury or is confined to bed for any length of time. Or I could be wrong.

I rescued a quilt at a military garage sale from a young mom who said they had several. Tears welled up and sadness for the good quilters who created this precious gift overwhelmed me. My large group of quilt pals felt as I did when I shared my story. I removed the label, recopied the poem on the label referrencing the quilters who created the quilt, plus adding my own quilt group as supporters. An aquaintance's husband (active military) is now suffering with PTSD after years in the Army. His wife loved the story and the quilt is now greatly appreciated. It has gone with him to a residential program to improve his health. God bless

It would be so nice if the recepiant of the quilt would give it back to QOV. The next person might want it to know that America is supporting them.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

I wonder if this means the person it was given to didn't really like it, but was polite enough not to say so. These quilts don't have to go to the Quilt Of Valor foundation. They can go to other charities, like women's shelters. I would buy it and try to find someone who needs it. We know how much love and care is put into these quilts.

Do they all have labels on them indicating Quilt of Valor?

Anyway, I would have bought it if I had seen it (and liked it) and probably regifted it to a serviceman/woman somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Go Pick it up Please and send it to me. I'll do any fixing that needs to be done and send it off to the Veterans home. PM me for my address. I'll pay postage

Blog Entries
    You never know why it is there. The owner may have passed and family are emptying out. Rescue them and remove label to release their spirit then refurbish .
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Wow, I just finished getting the fabric for a QOV. That quilt should have a label with complete info on it. Maker, presenter, recipient. The works. I would have bought it and sent an email to the Regional Coordinator. Maybe they could present it to another war vet. This is very sad to hear. There have been over 85K quilts given out to Vets across the nation, in honor of their service.

These quilts are given to veterans to honor their service. After the veteran receives the quilt, it is his (or hers) to do with as he or she wishes. Perhaps the veteran passed and the quilt was donated by the family, perhaps the veteran donated, it doesn't matter. The quilt itself is not what's important, it's the gift, the acknowledgment, the honor to the veteran. That is accomplished when the quilt is presented. I don't think QOV would permit a used quilt to be presented to another veteran, but the quilt could certainly be donated to a shelter, without the QOV label.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would have grabbed it! For that price? Taken it home and gave it some TLC. Then proudly displayed it in my home. Where's this located?

Blog Entries
    Might be a reminder of a time the receiver is trying to forget.

I'm a military widow, Gold Star Wife. No worries--it was from Viet Nam, so it was a long time ago. Anyway, I'm wondering if there was a death. Widows grieve in different ways. Some of us keep everything, some of us unload everything, some of us find a happy medium. It could have ended up at the Goodwill as a donation from the widow who unloads everything. Anyway, that was my immediate thought.

Life happens: moves, thining out our 'stuff' to fit our 'newer' digs, homelessness, and even death.

While we may not know what happened to the quilt or it's intended recipient at least we can pray the quilt will continue to have a life of blessing others, whoever that may be.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I hope it finds a good home!!!!

Last year a QOV was being auctioned on E-Bay. I know that the maker and QOV organizers were made aware and trying to stop the auction. Never did find out the end result. One showing up in goodwill, well somehow that seems less offensive. Especially when you consider it could have been donated due to the passing of the vet or some other reason.

Regarding the RW&B color scheme, this is not a requirment of QOV. However they do work with recipients and RW&B are the most popular choices.
    From their website:
    The most popular colors are Red, White and Blue. Patriotic themes are loved and most often requested. Although 10% of our military are women, when given a choice, most of them choose patriotic colors or designs as well. BUT...be advised that not all recipients want Red, White, Blue, patriotic. What NONE of the recipients want are fabrics which are inappropriate...such as juvenile fabrics intended for children. What will happen if you choose to go this way is that your quilt may sit on a shelf gathering dust.

http://www.qovf.org/content/fabric-pattern.html

Blog Entries
    I know several military families and they are bombarded with red white and blue items. I can understand their reasoning for not being excited over more red white and blue. The love and appreciation is in the quilt making and giving. I have several quilts for servicemen but seldom use red white and blue together. I have had their wives say thank you so much for not using the red white and blue theme. Some families love it some not so much.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    so, did you buy it? I probably would have- then passed it on again- I've had quilts donated to different places that have been received, and passed on many times - even donated else where to be found & passed on some more- so much better than winding up in a dog house somewhere....
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by calmqultr View Post
    I rescued a quilt at a military garage sale from a young mom who said they had several.
    This is what I have heard also that some military personnel end up with several.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast