Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt as you go >

quilt as you go

quilt as you go

Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM

Default quilt as you go

Is it possible to do quilt as you go on blocks with sashing, if so does anyone know where I can go to learn it?
Thank You so very much.
Patty
Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Yes, the blocks are larger than usual around the edges. The blocks are whipped stitched together butted flat, then the sashing is appliqued across the seams. My mom lap quilted a double size quilt this way.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM

There are many, many methods of QAYG, type in quilt as you go tutorials in you tube and watch a few.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:23 PM

Here's a tutorial that you might like. I've not tried this method but looks easy enough. I've never done QAYG but want to try it soon. I think it would be easier for me on my domestic machine.

http://quiltingtwin.blogspot.ca/2009...yg-blocks.html
Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

In the tutorial section on this board has several QAYG methods. I have made a couple. The instructions are very clear.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:38 AM

If you would like a well known teacher of many possible versions of QAYG Marti Mitchell has 2 classes on Craftsy.com She is an excellent teacher.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:39 AM
Gay

My favourite method is to place the blocks on the same size batting and trim to required size + seam allowances, and centre and (pin or glue) on backing squares that are 1/2" larger. With two sandwiched blocks together -backings together - join the backings only with a 1/4" seam. Open out, the tops and batting should be touching, almost. Place a strip of sashing/binding (edges folded under) over the seam, and sew down both sides. Keep doing this till you have one row, then make another. You can then join the two rows in the same way, but with a much longer strip of sashing.
If you prefer to use 2" sashing you will need to cut the backing and batting larger.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Patty, Leah Day has a great tutorial on this. I just did one a couple of months ago b/c I'm new to FMQ and didn't want to tackle a whole quilt so I did it block style. It turned out great, not my FMQ, but the sashing

The only problem I had was it involved a lot of hand sewing in the end. I tried a decorative stitch on the other side to avoid hand sewing but it didn't come out right. But that was my fault.
I would try it again.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM

I have done many different qayg methods w/ and w/o sashing and have never done hand sewing. I know those methods exist, but they were never an option for me.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:55 AM

A friend of mine embroiders everything and enters many competitions. She just butts the blocks up next to each other and satin stitches them together on the machine. I would be horrified, but after practice, hers are awesome and you would never know it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter