Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt As You Go >

Quilt As You Go

Quilt As You Go

Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 AM

The ones I did had NO handstiching it was all machine, easy and quick!! There is a link on page two of the thread I posted above.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jlong
I have the same question and would love to see a picture of a finished QAYG.
I have done 2 QAYG quilts so far. I don't have a picture of the back of either one though. The second one does have sashing front & back and but the first one does not. The back of the first one is denim squares which started out as circles but you sew the arcs together to form the cathedral window design on the front. There is a little square of scrap batting behind each one of the colored squares on the front and then the arcs of the denim circles are just top-stitched down. You could use a satin stitch or blanket stitch with a contrasting thread for even more punch.

Throw Size Faux Cathedral Windows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71337[/ATTACH]

Star Sampler QAYG each block w/sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71338[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71332.jpe   attachment-71333.jpe  
Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howto...neatatime.html
this is just for blocks, no sashings.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 AM

My first QAYG was from a Bonesteel (I think Gloria??) quilt book. I did not sash the front, just sew them together and trim the batting to fit flush together. The back was big enough to fold over to one side and stitch down. All was hand sewn so it wasn't stiff like the machine quilted are. I did sew the blocks together by machine.
I just finished a lap size for a little girl all machine stitched and I did put sashing on it. I zig zaged the blocks together first and them used a small 1&1/2 sashing front and back.
My mother said it was too stiff! It is a utility quilt and I'm sure it will be used.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I am going to try this with a lap quilt and see how this goes. Sounds good to me as I don't want to fight with moving a large quilt around my sewing machine and I can't afford a long arm yet. Have many of you tried this technique yet and did it work out for you?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Corry
I am going to try this with a lap quilt and see how this goes. Sounds good to me as I don't want to fight with moving a large quilt around my sewing machine and I can't afford a long arm yet. Have many of you tried this technique yet and did it work out for you?
The second method is how I did my Star Sampler only I used spray baste instead of hand basting. Pin basting would also work.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies...going to try this afternoon and see what happens. Seems like a pretty easy process just have to jump in and try!!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM

Hi Corry. I used this method a few times. The 1st time was with a log cabin. No quilting stitches shown on the front of the quilt. I used a "flip&sew" method. Worked out very well. I will try the "fun&done" method sometime. It looks interesting.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
Hi Corry. I used this method a few times. The 1st time was with a log cabin. No quilting stitches shown on the front of the quilt. I used a "flip&sew" method. Worked out very well. I will try the "fun&done" method sometime. It looks interesting.
Thanks for the reply. Am excited to try this very soon. I have recently learned to hand quilt (two weeks ago), so feel I have more options now on completing my quilts. I am hoping to buy a gracie frame and maybe a Juki someday but that will be a year or so from now. Just not ready. Trying to make room and want to take some lessons at a local quilt store and then am going to practice on my friends long arm to make sure I like it. But I have found I really enjoy the hand quilting. Not going to do all my quilts by hand because of the time factor so this quilt as you go method is another great alternative. I had thought you always had to have the sashing with this method and don't always want to do sashing. Oh yes, going to have to try this soon!! I have 3 more websites to finish before I will have more sewing time but maybe next week I can look forward to some serious quilting time. Wish I could retire but then how would I pay for my addiction?? lol
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM

You can add sashing if you want, just be sure to allow enough batting and backing when you stitch the blocks together.
When adding borders you will need to do add them with the batting and backing so the seams don't show.

FREE Quilting Newsletter