Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilted Bowl Holders - Dart Question >

Quilted Bowl Holders - Dart Question

Quilted Bowl Holders - Dart Question

Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 AM

What confused me is that how the ruler is laid on the fabric it looks like a dart. I simply drew a sq and used an arrow 1" pointing across the top and an arrow 2 1/4" pointing down. I think I may have my Christmas presents worked out - lol. Now off to find some cool bowls.
Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Now that it's hot soup weather I've been wanting to make bowl holders like the one in this tutorial - but the part about the darts really confuses me. Can anyone help?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 AM

Default bowl holders

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Now that it's hot soup weather I've been wanting to make bowl holders like the one in this tutorial - but the part about the darts really confuses me. Can anyone help?
You can find numerous videos on You Tube. Just type in Microwave bowl potholders. Several versions there.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM

I hadn't heard that you are to use cotton batting WITH NO SCRIM. Guess my Warm and Natural is out then.
Have any of you successfully and safely used the W&N???
Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM

I have used W & N and it works just fine.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 PM

A sewing buddy made these and found some scorched and she believes it was the sizing on the fabric so she washes everything before making them now. Just make sure to use cotton fabric, cotton batting and cotton thread. This person also found when she made the darts shorter the bowl holders could hold plates, etc.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZgv3vwv

in this tutorial you fold the fabric in half and measure 1" down the side and 2" along the fold for a 10" bowl (join the dots and sew to make a dart.) for 15" it is 1 and 3 and for a 12" it is 1 and 2.5. Hope this helps.
You Tube says this video doesn't exist lol
Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
I use them in the microwave all the time. No problems now for over a year, and my microwave is pretty powerful.
Most battings are fine in the microwave. It's the silver stuff that is metal in the Insul Bright that will make the potholder catch fire. Don't put that stuff in the microwave.
Insul Bright is made for potholders to keep the heat from your hands, not to be put into the microwave.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 PM

There is a tutorial on this board, which got me started. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t144848.html

I make them to sell for fundraisers (Project Linus mostly, and a couple other nonprofits) and expect to hit 400 made by the end of this season (before Thanksgiving)-- that is if I can get my machine fixed quickly, it's suddenly going from stop to fast only--and I've mostly used Warm and Natural in them, or Warm and White, which seems a bit stiffer so is easier to work with. The Warm Tater no-scrim batting is way too expensive for me, and the scrim has presented no problems in the three years I've been making these!

Tips I'll pass on:
1)I cut the batting 3/4" - 1" smaller than the outside fabrics--I mostly use 9 1/2" fabric, 8 1/2" batting, which fits all my single-serving bowls, and also my larger serving bowls;
2) use a little school glue to attach batting to fabric and let dry; so much faster/easier to quilt than pin basted;
3) I like to glue a 4" square of flannel on the center of the batting of just one side for extra bottom-of-the-bowl padding;
4) the darts don't have to be wide or deep to be effective--I use 3/4-1" by 2-2 1/4";
5) I no longer mark the darts, but instead after quilting fold at center, RS tog, insert a long smooth item inside the fold to help make an even crease and push the fabric into the crease, and measure 3/8" in from the fold and 2" or so down the crease, stitch;
6) Using my walking foot I sew a generous 1/4" or even 3/8" seam around the outside, leaving about 2 1/2" opening for turning--I found it stitches straighter and turns more evenly with the wider seam allowance and no batting in the actual seam;
7) Using my walking foot I top-stitch around the finished and turned edge at least 1/4" in to assure the batting is well attached and the bowl keeps its shape.

Last edited by suzanprincess; 10-26-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:23 AM

If u get the zap-it batting you will have no problems in the mw I use mine all the time and love it!
Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I agree. I wont put the potatoe bags in the microwave either. ( i wont make them, in fact.) I am leery of putting flammables in there.
Sandy
Old 10-27-2014, 02:25 AM

I make these and sell them and directions say to wash your bag before use if u do this u will have no problems.
Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
A sewing buddy made these and found some scorched and she believes it was the sizing on the fabric so she washes everything before making them now. Just make sure to use cotton fabric, cotton batting and cotton thread. This person also found when she made the darts shorter the bowl holders could hold plates, etc.