Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilted Golf  Cart seat cover >

Quilted Golf Cart seat cover

Quilted Golf Cart seat cover

Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 PM

Thanks, Barb. That seems fairly expensive for a pattern for a rectangle. However, the seller notes that the seat cover is 40" long. I believe I can figure out the size from that... I'll try it ... I am waiting for some golf-themed fabric I ordered for the back and but meanwhile will put together some blocks for the front.

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 AM

What I did was make a big rectangle larger than the seat and also for the back. Then I made a small turnover all the way around that I threaded elastic thru. If you go to the cart store, they have some you can purchase but just look at one and it will help you a lot. Not a hard project.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
thank you! and the blogger seems full of energy and great projects.

thank you k9sdn for the elastic idea. sounds great!
I guess I am on my way for a new project Yééé
Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 AM

I hate to be a downer, but just have to wonder how well a quilted seat cover would hold up. With all the in and outs of the cart, I would think the stitching/quilting would break. I have a quilt on my bed that the quilting has broken in many spots because someone in my house like to sit on my bed.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:48 AM

My golf cart seat is 40" x 20". The arm piece is 12" centered on each end of the seat. I like the first one on the pinterest site that sync posted above and has the loop over the arm rest. Several of the ladies have this style so they can easily take it in the house after golf. I have not made one as I have a fitted seat cover but it is so dirty from the dog that I need a cover for use when I golf. Don't make it too tight as it needs to be bigger when 2 bottoms sit on it!
HTH
Old 09-15-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I hate to be a downer, but just have to wonder how well a quilted seat cover would hold up. With all the in and outs of the cart, I would think the stitching/quilting would break. I have a quilt on my bed that the quilting has broken in many spots because someone in my house like to sit on my bed.
I think the idea is great, but agree with Buckeye Rose. When getting in and out the friction would cause it to move about a lot and break stitches. I think a slick fabric would work much better, but that is just me. Have fun with it and see what happens. Had no clue there would be so much out there about golf seat covers!
Old 09-15-2015, 01:01 PM

I thought about what everyone was saying about the quilted seat coming apart at the seams and a light bulb came on. What if you use a sturdy, like a cotton twill for the base, and applique (by machine) the blocks to the solid piece of material? Then layer with batting and put a sturdy fabric on the bottom. It would make a 4 layer quilt, but would be sturdy and sitting on it should not have any impact. You could make the top using the twill as a base for a Friendship braid. http://100billionstars.com/2013/06/f...quilt-pattern/

You could make any normal block, and sew them into rows, then use a QAYG to layer the blocks onto the twill. When you finish the quilting, you would have many more seams to keep the 4 parts together. The twill would add as a foundation.

Edited to add: I love that idea of a foundation fabric....I may use it myself for a chair cover I have been thinking about making.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

OMG! This is a great surprise gift for hubby and my mil. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Love this idea. By the way I did follow the link to pintrest and there are some there to look at too.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltorelse View Post
Could you go to a local golf course and ask them to let you measure the seat?
And you could probably google golt cart dealers that show spec.

interesting request....quilt for a golf cart!
sandy
Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 AM

Can you go out to the Golf course and check out the golf carts? Because most of them are about the same, but you do get a few little differences. You can take your own measurement or even trace the seats for size and shape. This will also let you see how much padding you would like to add to your seat cover. I would think hook and loop tape would be better over ties, this would have more room to adjust. I know my DH's fingers don't always work like they should, but he doesn't have any trouble with hook and loop. Good luck and don't forget to show us pictures