Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilted Jacket Guidance >

Quilted Jacket Guidance

Quilted Jacket Guidance

Old 01-12-2020, 11:45 AM

Default Quilted Jacket Guidance

Hey Y'all,
I bought a kit for this jacket a couple years ago & I'm determined to make and wear it winter. =)
http://www.jenniferamor.com/shop/Jac...et-x662246.htm But since it was a couple years ago that I bought the pattern/saw the sample at the show I can't recall a few things - so want to toss a few questions out to y'all...
1. Batting - I don't want it too bulky, so is flannel enough or is there an ultra light weight batting available? Bamboo? Silk?
If using flannel - do I use a sandwich of outer pieced fabric/flannel/lining fabric? Or just the outer pieced fabric and then the flannel?
2. Sleeves - Has anyone ever made this garment before? Are the sleeves better quilted or not? The picture on my pattern shows them not quilted, but the website's pattern/picture is quilted.
3. Back of the jacket - is plain/coordinated fabric that is quilted. Should a lightweight batting be used here or the flannel again?

Thank you for any suggestions & advise. I'm an experienced quilter & would love to play with using my creativity on a garment.
Donna Mc

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-12-2020 at 02:57 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-12-2020, 11:59 AM

Lovely jacket! You can use flannel, but remember PLEASE wash your flannel in hot water and dry in dryer, before you cut out your garment pieces.

Living in Texas, I can't use a "batting" jacket. A few years ago I washed my quilt cotton for my jacket first, then placed the fabric (pressed) on the top of unwashed muslin and quilted the fabric together. Then I washed my fabric and dried in the dryer. (I was looking for a "quilted look" without any filler. It worked out great. After I washed the fabric, I cut out my jacket. I put a lining it in, but was not required.

Please post your finished jacket. Best wishes.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

There are thin, lightweight batting’s that are recommended for wearables, but you can use flannel if you want to. It would be your choice to use just pieced outer and flannel or to use a third layer lining. Either way is fine, just depends on what you prefer .
as lar as the sleeves better quilted or not- again a personal choice. I would quilt them mainly because it’s going to ensure they don’t get ( baggy- out of shape) when the jacket is laundered. Same with quilting the back. I think you would want to stay with the same for the complete jacket- either batting or flannel, either lining or not.
silk, bamboo and wool are all nice lightweight batting’s, although the wool is loftier. And there are cotton weights that say they are recommended for clothing. I live in a cold climate so I would use batting and maybe a flannel lining but any way you choose is your personal choice, there is no wrong way to go. I hope you show us your jacket when you get it finished.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Hobbs Thermore (thinsulate) batting is poly and used in garment making and quilts.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

It helps to make an inner lining of a slippery fabric like tricot. You can slip into the jacket more easily, and the lining hides the construction seams. I believe I used flannel as a lining when I made my (one and only) quilted jacket.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 AM

I have a pattern for a jacket that I bought few years ago and it calls for flannel for the batting. I would think any other batting would be too bulky.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:06 AM

I've done a lot of wearable art. I never use batting. I don't want to end up looking like the little boy in Christmas Story who says "I can't put my arms down!" lol. I use flannel or nothing. If I'm going to use flannel, I usually quilt the outer fabric to the flannel and then add the lining. If I don't use any flannel or batting, I use something a bit heavier than normal quilting cotton, like bottom weight twill and attach the blocks directly to the backing with a stitch and flip if possible. Then I quilt it lightly and bind.

As to quilting, that's at your discretion. One thing I will tell you is that a lot of quilting will also make the jacket stiff. I do quilt sleeves because when you attach them you will be attaching at least 2 layers of fabric and having them quilted makes it a bit easier to do this without ending up with puckers along the seam line.

I never launder my wearable art. I'm careful and remove my jackets when I'm eating so when they do need to be cleaned, I just send them to the dry cleaners. It happens so rarely that I don't mind the expense and they always come back looking great.

Good luck. I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

Last edited by cashs_mom; 01-13-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM

I have used batting, Thermore and flannel on wearable quilt jackets - (not at the same time). I found the batting made it fairly bulky and somewhat stiff. I liked the flannel best, and as noted by others, definitely prewash and dry it.
The jacket with the batting was quilted through all three layers (outer, batting and lining) and then pieces cut out. The seams were bound and then the jacket was reversible. If I ever did this pattern again, I would use flannel as the filler.
As for the sleeves, I like a bit of quilting on them, but not so much it makes them stiff.
Sometimes I've used the flannel as the lining so there were only two layers to the jacket, and then used a twill tape to cover the seam allowances on the inside.
Good luck and please post your finished jacket. I really like the pattern you've chosen.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:59 PM

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I have a long weekend ahead with MLK Day + I took Tuesday off , so hopefully, I'll make some progress on this jacket. And yes - I promise to share pictures when I'm done.
Thanks again!

Donna Mc
Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM

I made a quilted jacket which I like. It is made on an x large sweatshirt. Preshrink. rip up the underarm seam. If you lay it out flat you can put your pieces on. I zigzagged the edges of mine. I finished the bottom and the sleeves with fabric with fabric from put a bias piece around the neck to cover raw edges. I decorated it with yarn, ribbon and lace. sewed it back together g. If you want to line it, probably could before you sew up the arm seams and put on the facings on the bottom and sleeves