Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilted Purses

Quilted Purses

Lately I have been trying my hand at making quilted purses and have come across some great patterns. My only challenge is something to insert for the shape of the purse to make it more sturdy so it does not collapse. Has any one ever tried cardstock paper; all suggestions welcome ........Thanks

Some bags that I've had, had cardboard in the bottom. Some had iron-on heavy weight interfacing, but those shrunk, leaving a buckled appearance. (I suspect the fabric wasn't prewashed.)

Other things to try include template plastic, or plastic canvas, either of which could be covered in fabric.

All of these choices except the cardboard and your cardstock paper are washable. Cardstock wouldn't add much structure.

I'm thinking of bottom stabilization. If you want overall stabilization, I'd use the weight of interfacing that seems right to you, probably medium to heavy. It could be sew in or iron on.

I use peltex 70 extra firm stabilizer by pellon.

For sturdier sides, there is a product out there that is like the headliner stuff in the interior of your car. I am not at home right now to look at the name on the pkg but will check later for you. It is very nice...your bag will have a nice 'feel' to it...kind of similar to what is used in Vera Bradley handbags. You can get it at your LQS.

For sturdy bottoms, I have used foam presentation board or even cardboard from boxes of athletic shoes. Make a little fabric sleeve to slip it in and nobody knows. Easily replaced, too.

I like to use plastic canvas that you can do needlepoint. Cheap, easy to find, and it can be washed. Since it is perforated, it is breathable like fabric. I also use TimTex and Buckram, but really like the plastic canvas better.
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

HMK
    I use Soft & Stable http://www.byannie.com/

Blog Entries
    Soft and Stable works good

I prefer using uphostery fabric or heavy drapery fabric. Holds up so much better and there are tons of fabric available. My friend made me a small tote purse and she used some really heavyduty iron on interfacing from Joann's. I think it cost $10.00 a yard but it is great.

Blog Entries
    Go to your local sign shop and ask if they have a scrap/misprint bin. Depending on who's at the counter I sometimes get stuff for free, but even if I have to pay something, it's a small amount. The sign material can be used for bottoms. I have used the thin stuff in the sides, but you can't sew thru it so it took some planning. You don't want to use cardstock because it will just crease and fail.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by craftycancer View Post
    Lately I have been trying my hand at making quilted purses and have come across some great patterns. My only challenge is something to insert for the shape of the purse to make it more sturdy so it does not collapse. Has any one ever tried cardstock paper; all suggestions welcome ........Thanks

Myself, I wash purses, so cardstock wouldn't work for me. And I'm not a fan of plastic canvas, either, since it can crack.

My favorite is Pellon Craft backing. Don't do this with your outer piece of fabric, but an inner lining with two or three layers of craft backing holds a shape fairly well.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

yel
    Blog Entries
    i am with wanabee ---i use uphostery fabric ...it is rather cheap and only have to use one layer there is a few local places where we can get it for 5.99 a yard ----and can put anything on the outside ....

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of Vera Bradley quilted purses. They are soft sided and never collapse. I have always wondered about how they are made to be that way. I guess the construction and details make the difference.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
    I like to use plastic canvas that you can do needlepoint. Cheap, easy to find, and it can be washed. Since it is perforated, it is breathable like fabric. I also use TimTex and Buckram, but really like the plastic canvas better.
    so do i
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I use the plastic needlework for the bottom and I have successfully used the painters canvas tarps from Harbor Freight as a layer between fabric and lining, One of those is huge and can make many purses.

I have just started using Soft and Stable. I love the firmness it gives the sides and it is easy to work with. Now I would never make a bag without using it. My LQS has it in both black and white.

I have used fabric covered heavy cardboard..I have also used fabric covered plastic canvas if I want it washable

I love soft and stable also. Works great.

I generally use the grid plastic that people embroider onto.

I like to make purses and usually use the plastic canvas but am going to try some of the suggestions made. Thanks!
    Take time to recharge your batteries. It’s hard to see where you’re going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

For the bottom of the purse I use a heavy mat board from the art department at Hobby Lobby. Of course I make a cover for it, and it holds up very well. As for the body of the purse, I am not familiar with some of the extra heavy duty liners. I have used the heavy weight fusibles and also the sew in kind.

I have used vinyl siding. Find a house where the siding is being replaced and most workman are happy to have you pick up the scraps. I round the corners after I cut the size I need and cover with the purse or tote bag fabric.

Check out the product called Soft and Stable. I love it for bags.

Blog Entries
    I love using Soft & Stable, for all my purses now. However, I just made several 6- Pocket Hipsters, were I used a double sided fusible called Inn Control Plus. These two products are almost identical......and "dreams" to sew with.They are the same cost, and both are available in white or black.The end product is truly enhanced when you use either of these products
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54489/296/CCA9C6060E1181152CA095EAA3495414.png[/img]

I like Timex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitching Nana View Post
    I have used vinyl siding. Find a house where the siding is being replaced and most workman are happy to have you pick up the scraps. I round the corners after I cut the size I need and cover with the purse or tote bag fabric.
    You're my kind of person. I love using scraps and leftovers, just to make less waste in this world. We need to think about how much waste we make. I just had my 100 year old garage re-roofed with metal. I told the workers (Amish) to use whatever color they had left over from other jobs. The front needed to be sort of matched, but the back could be anything. They did a beautiful job. Looks like a jelly roll quilt! ! !
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast