Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilters Club of America

Ok, guys. I need to know if I want to do this or not. I am thinking about becoming a member for $30 and was wondering if this is worth it. It sounds as it is to me, but just have a hard time spending money sometimes. With the membership I get a years subscriptions to Easy Quilts, a years membership to QNNTV.com, a year of on demand fons and porter videos and a few other things that I just can't remember right now. Please help me decide on if I would like this. Thanks!

I'm not that familiar with this, but will check it out. You have to judge whether you will use it. The magazine for a year is probably about $15, so it is probably a good deal.

Blog Entries
    I do believe to it's a good deal!

Blog Entries
    For the same amount of money I can join my Local Quilt Society that meets twice a month and learn lots of new things from more experienced quilters. The only problem with that is I would probably have a dozen projects going at the same time and since they meet from 9-2 I figure I can use that time to work on my own quilt.

What is best to check out is the Deals and Discounts from our Sponsors section.

It depends on where you purchase your supplies and fabric. For me, I saved enough at JoAnn's to pay for one year's membership for the year I belonged. This section alone could help determine if it's worthwhile to each sewer or quilter. I've shared it with avid sewers who purchase a lot of fabrics.

You also get the Easy Quilts magazine along with all of the other perks.

Pam M

a quilter in one of the quilt gr i belong to joined that...she looked at it thoroughly...figured that for the first year it would be worth it. then she would re-evaluate. the mag is not advanced enough for her i would think but her thing was the access to the videos and other stuff...plus like all of us she looks for as many coupons/sales etc to help us with our fabric purchases. i say go for it...if she thinks it is worth it for even one year - and she is the most savvy informed internet person i know....join...have fun and learn and then decide nxt yr if ya want to keep going with it.

I'll have to look into this, sounds promising.

I have belonged for 3 years (or maybe 4) and also to the Quilt Show. I have been delighted with both.

I used to belong to it but I stopped when I found out all the 'free' patterns were from websites you all post here. You do get a few Fons & Porter patterns but they were later published in their magazine. The videos were mostly older ones and can be found on other free tv web sites. It was worth it the first year because everything was new, but after that, not so much. I did learn quite a few things that first year. But when I found you guys, I learned way more.
    But don't let me stop you from checking it out. It might be just what you like. Everyone has their own learning curve.

Easy quilts is published 4 times each year and sell for about 7 dollars, so that would be worth $28 and the other bennies for just $2 sounds like a good deal to me. But for myself, I just buy from the newstand, am not interested in the rest of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    I'm not that familiar with this, but will check it out. You have to judge whether you will use it. The magazine for a year is probably about $15, so it is probably a good deal.

You get a discount card for Joann Fabrics - and that easily paid the cost of the membership when I was a member. The discount card gives you 10% off every purchase, whether regular or sale priced. Adds up really fast if you buy a lot at Joann. This benefit by itself can be worth way more than the cost of subscribing.

There are a lot more discounts for QCA members, too.

I had dropped my subscription to QCA, but I just took it up again so I could see "Quilt It" with Irena Bluhm. And I like having hundreds of quilting shows available whenever I want them. Just to keep me company in the studio if nothing else.

I don't care for Easy Quilts magazine much any more, so that isn't a draw, for me. After I signed up the other day, I looked through the digital issues online that I'd missed while I was not a subscriber and I didn't find even one project in that year's worth of magazines that I wanted to do.

Doesn't matter - $30/yr is a reasonable cost to me for the features that I do use. :)

Blog Entries
    That's a pretty good price compared with what I've seen. I had it last year for $35 and I never used the videos or free patterns. If you think you'd use those, it would probably be a good deal for you. For me, the only perks I used were the magazines (most of which I never found any projects I wanted to make anyway) and the discount at Joann's (which I can get with the educator's discount).

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbols
    I used to belong to it but I stopped when I found out all the 'free' patterns were from websites you all post here. You do get a few Fons & Porter patterns but they were later published in their magazine. The videos were mostly older ones and can be found on other free tv web sites. It was worth it the first year because everything was new, but after that, not so much. I did learn quite a few things that first year. But when I found you guys, I learned way more.
    But don't let me stop you from checking it out. It might be just what you like. Everyone has their own learning curve.
    i like your response/assessment. that is pretty much what my q gr friend says...that the videos are old but she doesn't have time to search the net. she is involved w/wa state edu dept...does her shopping online but not a lot of time for wandering...have told her about this site...she has been here but i haven't talked her into to joining yet...it is time consuming...i am only here when time allows...every few weeks. but like you said...there is soooooo much to learn here and it is free. and links ...less time spent searching...and the tutorials...well...maybe nxt time we have gr meet [that i can make it too :) ] i can convince her how great this place is to spend a little time hangin' w/cool quilters and learning great/interesting stuff.

I was a member last year of Quilters Club of America and my money was wasted. I was already a member of Fons & Porter Video on Demand and QNN.TV when I joined QCA. Personally, I didn't get anything out of my membership with QCA. It was not worth the 49.95 to me. I have kept my membership with F&P because it provided more of what I was interested in. I also canceled QNN.TV. It did not interest me.