Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are quilters perfect? >

Are quilters perfect?

Are quilters perfect?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I strive for a perfect quilt, after about 300 or so quilts and comforters, still haven't made one.
I am getting much better at things I have done since my first quilt.
All I am doing is being more attentive, careful and trying some new ways.
I am my worse critic and I love to challenge myself.
When I make a perfect quilt, I will run out immediately and buy the most expensive quilt fabric I can find.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 PM

I would go crazy if I had to have a perfect quilt. Practice makes perfect! I tell myself to just enjoy the journey.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Sheesh! No perfection here. Just a lot of creativity when the pattern doesn't work the way it should. Well, it could be my interpretation of the pattern. Hmm.... And you know, there are cultures that feel it is an insult to God if things are perfect. So there you go! :-) Quilt an enjoy!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM

"At the same time, I sure wish the Quilt Police would mind their own business unless asked for their opinions. Like we would. " There is no such thing as the "quilt police", it is a horrible myth. These so called quilt police, judges whatever, are human beings just like the lot of us and filled with bias. Ever try to sew on the bias?? lol
Old 06-29-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
If you want to feel more successful, be selective when picking a pattern. For example, if you have difficulty matching seams, start with a pattern that doesn't have a lot of matching seams, like Missouri Star's Double Slice Layer Cake quilt. Pick patterns with larger pieces, or squares/rectangles. Those would be easier than triangles. Build your confidence with the easier ones before tackling the harder ones.
this is good info. There is room in quilting for all types. I tend to be a perfectionist so I now do more difficult patterns and love doing them. I tend to oversize and trim to exact unfinished size. I love Deb Tucker tools and patterns, Sharon Schamber YouTube videos, Bonnie Hunter tutorials, Bloc Loc rulers to name a few things. there is also so much information and knowledge here on this site and on YouTube and different blogs and websites. It is a great hobby. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 AM

Even ugly quilts are warm.

I read that in a quilt book once a long time ago, took it to heart, and after I stopped trying to make a perfect quilt and started enjoying quilting.

Just the other day, I FMQ'd a quilt for the first time. I commented to my mother how the quilting along the outside edge was pretty bad. She thought I was complaining, until I explained that the quilting in the center where I started was horrible, so I was getting better!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 AM

Every quilt I make is perfectly Imperfect!

I call myself the unorganized perfectionist! Oh by the way, there are no mistakes in quilting..just design changes. Some quilters call their design change, Organic quilting. Just remember to have fun!
Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
There is no such thing as the "quilt police", it is a horrible myth.
It's just a phrase people use when talking about those who are critical of everything others do and who believe there is ONE way and ONLY one way to quilt.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 AM

If I had to be perfect I would have to sell all of my fabric, machines, patterns and notions and I would be miserable.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:14 AM

No, a quilter doesn't have to be a perfectionist. When I took my 6 week class at a local quilt store to learn how to quilt, there were just 3 of us in the class. The first week we were told to bring back a 9 patch block which measured a certain size. It took me 3 tries to get just one that size. Another woman made a perfect block but after that, she never brought another block to class. She had to have them perfect and thus she couldn't finish any of the blocks assigned. I felt sorry for her that she couldn't see how beautiful her blocks were. Perfect doesn't get finished. I had a huge queen size quilt finished completely by me on my little old plastic Singer in 6 months. Don't be like her.