Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting..alot or alittle??

Quilting..alot or alittle??

I know it depends on the quilt but what are your thoughts...how much quilting do you do on your quilts??
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Depends on whether I want a warm cozy quilt for sleeping under, a sofa throw, or a decorative wall quilt. I do a moderate amount on cozy quilts because if it is quilted too densely the insulation factor decreases. For sofa throws or lap quilts, I do a bit more (mostly because I can sit a look at the quilting), and for decorative pieces I like to quilt a lot (because it's "decorative").
    Wendy

sounds like I do, dont want too much on a quilt i use on bed for sleeping.
    Find a point in horizon.... keep moving towards it....

I don't like a lot of quilting on mine.rather have the soft feel to it.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

i like a lot of quilting, but it is personal taste. I just try to make the density of quilting equal through out the quilt.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I like the quilting to be in definite patterns, so that the quilting is very eye catching. I want the back of the quilt to look as good as a one piece quilt - in fact to definitely be reversible to showcase quilting on one side, piecing on the other side. When the quilting is very simple SID I tend to think of the quilt as a comforter.

I hand quilt. Maybe because of that I do just enough to keep it nicely together and like the soft puffiness of it. I have had a couple of larger quilts LAQ'd and was very happy with the results. However, the end result is stiffer and drapes a lot differently on the bed.

I agree with all of the gals who said that there should be enough quilting to accentuate the quilt you are making by determining the use of the quilt and stablizing of the design that must be quilted in such a way as to make it a functional covering.

A dragger quilt that would be used a lot should have enough quilting so that it will hold up to many washings. A dragger can be a baby or child's quilt, a lap quilt or even a couch, picnic or car quilt.

Then there is a nice quilt you are gifting or one used by the family. I feel that moderate quilting is the best.

Then there is the Show quilts that have OMG quilting on them. That are made for showing off the exceptional skills of the piecer and quilter alike.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I love to quilt, so I mostly do art that can be quilted to death. It would lol terrible on a bedspread.

Blog Entries
    it depends on the batting i'm using- some batts require quilting every 2"-which tends to be fairly dense- so that quilt is a densly quilted quilt- other batts allow up to 10" between quilting lines - those quilts are much more (loosely) quilted- large-open designs...i choose the batt that is right for the project & quilt what is required for that batt.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thanks for all the tips above. I'm working on a quilt for my grandson and am quilting it now and had that same question in mind. Now I've got a better idea of how to proceed.

I like quilting in diamond shapes on point, about an inch and a half to two inches apart.
    Syl

I try not to "over-quilt" my quilts...such as such close quilting that it is kind of like a mattress pad. The quilt seems softer if not quilted with too close of quilting.

Blog Entries
    well sometimes it is so much fun I do more quilting than I had intended to do.

Balanced is more important to me... But I prefer more than less

At least the recommended for the batting or more. Depends on the quilt. I just did 3 for charity and did 3 different designs so I could try them out.

I like both close stitching and then more of a open stitching, just depends on the quilt. Not much help, eh?
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Haha! That sounds like me! I plan on some simple stuff, but just get carried away! I always think, "I'll just do some lines (or loops, or swirls, or whatever) and can always go back in and quilt more if it's needed", but it's never needed!

Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    LOL. That is exactly how I feel about my most recent quilt. I like light quilting - no closer than about 1" together. But the 2 times I've used a stencil and tried to do complicated free motion quilting in each block, I've ended up "quilted to death". I love the look of both, but they aren't as cuddly as I would have liked them to be. Especially the latest - starburst pattern on batik closely quilted (1/4" apart), made for a really stiff quilt. I'm hoping a washing will soften it some.

It depends I like a little for the bed.
    Donna

Not too heavy both in quilting and for the weight. I like the quilt to drape if it is for use.
    Anna Quilts

I don't do much hand quilting any more but it did cross my mind that with machine quilting it is easy to over quilt. I was thinking because if goes so much faster. When I look at a quilt I do not like the quilting to be so dominant that it makes it too stiff or takes front and center, only when it is a whole quilt or the quilting is the reason for the quilt..

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    I hand quilt. Maybe because of that I do just enough to keep it nicely together and like the soft puffiness of it. I have had a couple of larger quilts LAQ'd and was very happy with the results. However, the end result is stiffer and drapes a lot differently on the bed.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Not too heavy both in quilting and for the weight. I like the quilt to drape if it is for use.
    I am with you! My quilts are for use and need to be able to drape for snuggling. Plus, I want my piecing to show and not be annihilated by heavy machine quilting. The heavy quilting is beautiful if that's what you want the focus to be. Just IMHO.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I really don't like the new trend of lots and lots of quilting. I've seen some pictures of quilts on here that I thought had WAY TOO MUCH quilting. A little goes a long way. That being said, it's a matter of personal taste. It's your quilt and you can do it any way you want to.

I hand quilt so my quilting is usually done around each piece in the quilt top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast