Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting blessings

Blog Entries
    The intended result exceeded your expectations. God is like that. He blesses us for giving & doing more than we expect and He blesses the recipient too! Ain't God good?

Quote Originally Posted by queendaria
    I belong to a small group called Westminster Comforters. 8 of us meet at the church once a month and learn new techniques to make quilts for needy children and adults. We learned that a local hospital had a wing designated for children who had been abused and were in situations where they were not safe at home. We decided to bring 20 quilts and thought we were just dropping them off. To our surprise, we were introduced to the 15 teenagers (!) who were temporarily residing there. Our quilts had been made with babies in mind. We were so upset until we placed all the quilts on a table and the young adults came in. They oohed and they aahed at all the quilts and took the one that was their favorite. One young girl loved the quilt with the little yellow rubber duckies on it. All these polite (and smiling) youngsters then cuddled into their quilts or wrapped themselves up in them. We explained that not one of the quilts was like any other in the world, unique just as they were and that the quilts were made with love for them. We've received so many thank yous from the hospital, the foundation sponsoring this endeavor and from the happy recipients. We were truly blessed. Don't know what to do with all the quilts you make? Start making MORE and start giving them away--there is someone out there who will cherish your talent.
    What a wonderful story, Iam sure you all felt more than rewarded for your time and effort. So nice to share the joy of the recipients.

Quote Originally Posted by MS quilter
    The intended result exceeded your expectations. God is like that. He blesses us for giving & doing more than we expect and He blesses the recipient too! Ain't God good?
    You betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    your story brings tears of happiness to my eyes. . . . ;-)
    mine too

When I was still teaching, I use to get my ninth graders (15 year olds) to color maps or design a unit cover. They loved the activity. The community I worked in was lower socio-economically and I think they weren't exposed too much to crayons. They would sit so quietly. I always had a big box of colors for them to choose from.

Thank you for sharing your story. It's so wonderful to make someone in need feel loved through quilting.
    If anyone on the board is looking for organizations which need quilts, just try googling "charities that need quilts" and you will see a number of web sites with very comprehensive lists. if you have stash to share, it is a great way to use those fabrics that may not meet up with your current tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster
    That is SO heartwarming. Thank you and your friends for doing this, and thanks to everyone else who gives of themselves to brighten someoneone else's life.

I've hesitated to the point of not saying anything about what my husband and I are doing for the 41yr old single mom who works res.hab. therapy 30 hours a week with our daughter.
    My husband was able, with two partners, to acquire 8 trailers for $1.00 each. So far, they have completely gutted 4 of them, are in the process of drywalling, installing cabinets, carpet, vinyl, cleaning up the yards, putting in new steps/patios, roofs. We are taking the profits that we would have made from selling, and giving Missie one of the trailers for her son and her. She will have to pay the monthly park rent/utilities, but will have a place to call her own. She was speechless (amazingly!!) when Hubs told her what we were going to do. She goes by every day to check out her new home, and her 8 year old with ADHD is ecstatic about his new digs and the tree in the yard he can climb!

Although we really could have used the $ to pay our own bills, the joy in her far outweighs having to scrimp even more to get our stuff paid.
    When you give you get back.
    Thank you for taking care of that family God will reward you.

(sniffle) what a rewarding experience!

Blog Entries
    Me too! Thank you for sharing.

You are God's angels on earth. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone loved their neighbor the way you do.

That is wonderful. I would love to have seen their sweet faces.
    I make lap quilts for our service men & women. I do enjoy making them.

Quote Originally Posted by lass
    When I was still teaching, I use to get my ninth graders (15 year olds) to color maps or design a unit cover. They loved the activity. The community I worked in was lower socio-economically and I think they weren't exposed too much to crayons. They would sit so quietly. I always had a big box of colors for them to choose from.
    I always have crayons and coloring books around the house for my grandchildre & my great-grandchildren, but I love to get them out and color because it is very calming & relazing. Teenager are still children who need love & attention. I love the story about the quilts. I am making a guilt for 1 on my granddaughter who is in a home children with behavior problems, She wants baby animals on it. Now I will make a few more for others in her home.

My Quilt Guild has been making what we call "Kids Quilts" for several years. We give them to organizations who take care of abused children, to a home for unwed mothers, and to the children's hospital, and in the trauma section when a baby or small child dies, we give the parents a quilt to wrap the baby in to take it out, and hope that keeping the quilt will bring them comfort. We usually have one meeting when everyone brings supplies and sews on these quilts. One member of our Guild has made over 400 herself--and beautifully done!

Blog Entries
    great story, thanks for sharing with us

over the last 20+ years, I've probably made 200 charity quilts for children; from premie-twin size. It started as a way for me to deal with many miscarriages. I figured that someone else's child needed a quilt. I'm still making them. Everyone in my family has at least 2-3 quilts, so they don't need anymore. It gives me a good excuse to make lots of quilts
    in the bright colors and wild fabrics that I love working with.
    Sharon W.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I have been waiting to get into out local guild so that I can share in some of these projects to help others. There are so many who want to give and ever so many who need to receive.

Just so neat to hear a positive contribution to community. Made me cry to think of how good and love the teens felt. The change for betterment begins with that first step, that hand held out that says, I care.

This is close to my story. I retired from an office job at age seventy and wanted to keep feeling useful. Having always sewed and dabbled in all handwork, I

This is close to my story. I retired from an office job at age seventy and wanted to keep feeling useful. Having always sewed and dabbled in all handwork, I

We are just starting the same type of program for our area. The Kedish House Kids Quilts is a project we have started for the kids from abusive homes and/or kids displaced from their homes. Our goal is to have 40 quilts given to them by the end of 2011. If anyone is interested in helping in any way - sewing, fabric/batting, quilting, money, or donating an entire quilt, please contact me or check out our story a little further in our newsletter, which you will find on our website - www.quiltedblessingsandgifts.com There is nothing better than having some very small part in helping a child feel a bit of comfort when there isn't much in their world. :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Amen, amen, amen!!!
    You know the Word that you can't outgive a giver; but less is emphasized that the giver usually gets the greater blessing. I've aways said, when you're down the most: when you are sad, lonely, depressed, or even worn out......do something really nice for someone else.

I can't even express how coordinating this Military Barracks Quilt Project, for instance, has blessed me beyond imagining! And every time I receive a top or ship a box of quilts (one going today to Afghanistan) I pray that the makers of these quilts -- members of this board -- will be wonderfully blessed as well.

Your project sounds so nice and has inspired me to look into the same thing here in my area. Happy dance for you all!
    Jan in VA
    I haven't been doing quilts, although I hope to, but that is how I feel about the rag dolls I make for kids with cancer and other devestating illness. More blessed to give then to receive. God bless all the givers that look to help others less fortunate.

I love your message. YOu ladies are wonderful making all those quilts, It is absolutely beyond belief how many homeless children there are nowadays. May GOD richly bless you for your efforts. I am sure you will receive many blessings from your efforts. Karen K.

Bless your group.

What a wonderfull thing your doing..

I felt blessed just to read your message.

At our church's Sew Fine Quilters, we make quilts for Lutheran World Relief. We have great fun doing the quilts, but never any feedback (The people receiving them do not know exactly where they came from. We do quilts for hospice as well. But your organization is really special and you deserved all the teenagers praise. Good work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast