Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them >

Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

add me to this rant as well. BTW I too LOL at the term wall warmer. Too funny. There are a few books out there that offer the patterns in all sizes from wall hanging to king. One is Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! There are a couple of patterns in that book that are only one size but the majority give fabric requirements and cutting for multiple sizes. Another is The Joy of Quilting. Stellar Quilts by Judy Martin has a mix some patterns only in one size and others in multiple sizes and settings.

These are the books I love. It does seem that the books by designers like Edyta Sitar only offer patterns in one size and that is disappointing. I often modify patterns to the size I want with additional borders or another row of blocks but that doesn't work with something like a medallion quilt like a lone star.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM

Maybe you could contact the book publisher and request some information where to go to get information for enlarging the design, from designer or the publisher, and including the fabric requirements. Maybe they can get the information from the designer, and maybe in the future they will ask designers for this information. Also does the designer have a website or contact information? perhaps contacting them will get some information needed. I agree a book should have multiple sizes for quilts in a book unless it is on the cover that they are "__" size.
As to why size that only fit on the lap/legs my thought is that maybe they were designed for wheel chair users.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM

My favorite book for large quilts with perfect instructions.

Tradition With A Twist by Blanche Young
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM

I too get pieved when I purchase a book and only one size is listed with patterns and yardage requirements for just one size. I hate to admit it but many times I can figure out the pattern but never trust my calculations for yardage. I am also paying the $$$ so I can get the easy way out ..so to speak... and I can just get on with the actually making the quilt. So add me to the "list" of those consumers who feel "shorted" when only one size is offered in a book. Add to me the other list that gets pieved when it says "quilt as desired" and no offering or suggestion or any indication for the final quilting part.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM

This is one reason I like Atkinson Designs. Clear instructions and easy to understand changes to different sizes.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

It might be a good idea to page through the book to see if you like/want what's in it before buying it.

I think some people have enough trouble following directions for only one size, much less trying to follow something with multiple numbers in it.

How would you like the additional size information presented? As a separate listing for each size? Or like the knitting instructions with the optional sizes in parantheses? Would you like fewer patterns with more size options in a book?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Amen.

Maybe you can find a quilting friend with HQ and then you could add more blocks to whatever quilt you want and have the program figure out the yardage, etc. I've done this a fair amount for friends.

ali
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Book suggestion, although it's an older one... Quilts!, Quilts!, Quilts! by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. They list crib, wall, twin, double/queen, and king. I have made 2 of the quilts and they are big (queen). They get bigger if you add a border . The book has instructions for templates and also rotary cutting.
It's also a comprehensive guide to quilting.
I't a really good book and I am sure you can still find it on Amazon or Abebooks.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM

I completely understand this frustration. Fortunately, I am kind of a math lover. I can sit with my calculator and graph paper figuring out things for hours. Whether they get done or not is a different story! I've been working at "publishing" my original patterns and one of the latest ones was a large lap size in the original. I felt compelled to figure it all out in four different sizes before going ahead and listing it. All the money that is spent on books and patterns - not to mention fabric and supplies - should surely offer some personal choice options.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM

It annoys me that so many of the patterns are square! Who wants a square quilt? I think its just laziness of the designer not wanting to put more into it to make a real quilt or throw.