Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them >

Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

I'm with you. Even the magazines are showing lap quilt size patterns - how many laps can anyone have for goodness sake.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM

I remember the first quilt I made was from a wall quilt. I added many squares to make the quilt twin size. I had no idea about how to figure the amount of fabric I'd need. I did not get enough of one fabric that I needed and searched the Internet for days to find more of it. I still find myself enlarging patterns as the quilts I make for my daughters need to be king size and the patterns I like usually are not that large. Life would be much simpler if the patterns I like came in king size. Another complaint is patterns that say "king size" and wouldn't cover even the top of a king size bed. I just finished one that is not quite queen size. Now I have learned to look at the dimensions of the finished quilt, not what the designer calls it.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 AM

The biggest problem for me in this is to know how much more/less fabric to purchase. I do make smaller quilts and it usually isn't a problem just to make fewer blocks but the fabric calculation is a problem.

These days, I usually try to get the book from the library before purchasing. If that isn't possible, I will also go to Amazon and see if there is a "search inside" feature to get an idea of how the book is done.

A third possibility is to ask the reviewers on Amazon as people will answer questions.

And, of course, there is the QB. If you ask about a particular book that members have, I'm sure you would get answers.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 AM

I to agree with this as I seldom by a book any more why pay 30.00 dollars for a book for only one pattern then have to do the math for the proper size then what about the fabric another guess so I usually look at patterns the proper size but the Eleanor Burns books are the best and I do have several of hers
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 AM

I agree totally. Since I haven't been quilting that long, I'm interested in making bed size quilts for my family, who all have queen or king sized beds.

I emailed Carrie Nelson who designs under the label of Miss Rosie's Quilts to ask about making one of her patterns a king size. She not only told me how to do it, she figured up the additional yardage for me. So, you might try emailing the designer for the assistance. Carrie was very accomodating and responding with a huge long email describing how to go about it. She was wonderful!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 AM

What great positive feedback. Thanks for starting this thread. I think we all agree, $'s too tight not to feel like we got our money's worth. I find myself using freezer paper to enlarge patterns. Time consuming but if I really like a quilt, I'm going to do it. And I totally agree with the suggestion about Quilts, Quilts, Quilts. I have been quilting since the late 70's and that has always been a gift I give to new quilters. Covers so many areas.
from Sunny GA
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 AM

Funny... I've been quilting for 10 years and have no desire to make a king sized quilt! I'm a lap quilt or smaller quilter so must be the intended reader of these books. I like trying new patterns and color combos but don't like a lot of repetition so smaller projects allow me that. The downside is I have lots of UFOs because I start way too many smaller projects.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 AM

I agree, who wants a quilt to wrap up in that is too short and your feet stick out the bottom?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 AM

I guess the first thing you should do is take a quick look through the book to see if the patterns are what you are looking for. I make lots of smaller quilts to decorate walls and some are used as table toppers. There are many uses for smaller quilts and, these days, people do not quilt for "beds only." Also, if the smaller pattern uses 12.5" blocks, for example, to make a table topper, who says you cannot just add 12.5" blocks until it is the size you prefer. Or keep adding borders of different kinds so that the center looks like a medalion. All sorts of ways to enlarge.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 AM

OK kids. 5th grade fractions to percentage. Divide what you want by what you have--so if you have an eight inch square that you want to change to a ten inch, you divide 10 by 8 and get 1.25. Move the decimal over and enlarge by 125%. If the pattern came with a seam allowance THIS WILL MESS IT UP. Cut out the new pattern(lose the old seam allowance), trace it on graph paper and draw a new seam allowance. Yes you will have to use a tape measure on the curves. I think patterns don't come with fabric quantities because if you modify them at all, the quantity will change. I just make a generous guess and add to my stash a lot.