Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget! >

Quilting on a budget!

Quilting on a budget!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM

It would be nice to be able to just go and get what you need when you need it!. Thanks to someone on this board who shared their fabric with me I have some fabric for a couple of quilts I need to do...Thanks again..I will always remember her kindness...and hope one day to be able return the blessing with someone else! One thing about have a budget you have to be very creative!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 AM

My quilt guild has a lot of people who donate unwanted fabric. One member cuts them up into the pieces needed for a quilt and each member can pick up a 'kit' to do and bring back to donate. Also, we have a UFO (unfinished objects) that members donate. Other members can pick those up and add to it and finished them for themselves or donate it for our charities that we give to.

For art quilts, I have a friend who works in the custom drapery department of a department store. She gives me the sample books that have been out dated. I separate them into books that are 100% cotton, etc. Most of them are beautiful fabrics. I have had to tell my friend to let me catch up before she gives me more books.

Being frugal is a good thing. And I know I need to practice that more. Thank you for this thread. I hope others will contribute to it also.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Here in GB it is very hard to find cheap fabric, and although i have quite a stash of fabric bits, it is buying the batting and backing that costs so much money.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 AM

I am a by necessity thrift quilter too. I love to sew and create but can rarely afford the high end fabrics any longer. It does not stop me from acquiring them in odd places however. I have a marvelous thrift store that benefits the animal shelter near me. I picked up two yards of white on cream yesterday for .79c and eight vintage santa prints VIP that are about 14'x18? each uncut for .49c and well you get the idea.. I also look at sheets, pillowcases, shirts (especially those crazy ones with theme prints on them) as potential material. Tag sales? absolutely. Craigslist? yes sir.. Ebay? I watch and I watch and I try to bid RIGHT before it closes (so youdont drive the price up) and if its a nobody bid it looks even better. I purchases six patterns the other day for .01c and 2.50 shipping on ebay. No one else had bid. I think the seller was probably not thrilled but this buyer was very happy. Last: got a zip baggie full of assorted buttons: .59c so thrifty is not always bad at all. And we end up with some pretty fun things and I am sure you all are as proud as I am when I am done.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 AM

good one Elisabrat. I am going to start haunting our charity shops i think. I assume that is the fabric washes at 40 degrees and tumble dries ok i can use it! Another life lesson thanks.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 AM

hi cannot buy fat quarters or quilting material on sales... It is very expensive over here...When I first started I used poly cottons... boy what a lot of hassles that gave me... nearly gave up quilting. The american cotton is fabulous to work with. It is worth the money you spend on it, but I refuse to use it on everyday quilts which get used on the floor. I use sheeting for the backing. ciao
Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 AM

i love your avatar pic dannypenny, did you embroider the hedgehogs yourself?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
i love your avatar pic dannypenny, did you embroider the hedgehogs yourself?
Hi Sara yes I did the embroidery by hand. It is a part of my "Africa Addio" quilt. I shall post the whole quilt next week. I have learned out to post so now I shall be very busy doing so. Have a great weekend. ciao
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM

I too have to be very tight on my budget...I have a friend that does quilting for a living and dosen't like the leftovers. She gives them to me and with the leftovers that I can not use in quilts I try and make walker bags for my son's mom who works as a nurse in and nursing home.
Think also how "green" we are being!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM

ok sorry that is my son's girlfriends mo who works in a nursing home!!!