Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget! >

Quilting on a budget!

Quilting on a budget!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
Here in GB it is very hard to find cheap fabric, and although i have quite a stash of fabric bits, it is buying the batting and backing that costs so much money.
I have to agree, we seem to get none of the deals the US shops get. I am lucky if I can find fabric for £5/m. There are tons of charity shops around where I live, and I always go in, but never find anything that isn't completely faded. I bring more stuff there than I ever find to buy. :-)
I haven't even found batting on a roll, all I found are the pre-sized packages/rolls, and they are expensive.
I try to find most things on Ebay and from Ebay sellers in the US occasionally, but even if the items are cheap after shipping to the UK it's about the same I would find here.
And Fabricland sells too much polycotton, as well as most of the cheaper bedsheets in any shops - all polycotton.
I've recently signed up to Freecycle and Freegle, so maybe that will be more fruitful.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Hey there,

I posted this tip on another thread but for those who didn't see it. www.freecycle.org is a GREAT resource for getting fabic absolutely FREE.

I simply put out a post that said WANTED - Quilting supplies and Fabric. And I came home with a bunch of Quilt-A-Day books, and several trash bags full of fabric and scraps.

So you may check for a freecycle in your area and see what you can find. Not bad for driving to aq few houses in less than an hours time huh?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Wow thank you so much. I asumed that it was a group only for people from the US but there are 4 or 5 groups in my country!! I went to the site and used the searchbutton. It's a great site so thanks!

Originally Posted by miholmes
Hey there,

I posted this tip on another thread but for those who didn't see it. www.freecycle.org is a GREAT resource for getting fabic absolutely FREE.

I simply put out a post that said WANTED - Quilting supplies and Fabric. And I came home with a bunch of Quilt-A-Day books, and several trash bags full of fabric and scraps.

So you may check for a freecycle in your area and see what you can find. Not bad for driving to aq few houses in less than an hours time huh?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Gal,

I can understand the need to be a thrifty quilter. I am also am on the lookout at thrift stores looking for the treasures, but haven't found any yet. DH and I were just in Auckland in October visiting my DD and DSIL who are there while she does post grad work at the Uni. I did visit the quiltshop in Devonport and found a Bernina store in the suburbs of Auckland that sold a little fabric. Wow! Quilting is an even more expensive hobby in NZ! The OP stores are great. That is where my DD goes looking for clothes and has gotten some great buys.
We are visiting again in November and hope to hit the South Island. I'll try to remember to wave as we fly over.