Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Confessions >

Quilting Confessions

Quilting Confessions

Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
OBW = One Block Wonder. See the picture under Fireworkslover's name. It is an example of what that person likes to make.
Thank you. Is that a stack and wack design?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 AM

You have set a high "production" standard for yourself. I have to "calm " myself down on a few occasions, and remind myself that just because I did not do it NOW , does not mean I will never do it. I get on what I call "a quilting bender" !!!I have been quilting for ... well ...a really long time ( before rotary cutters) and just made my first Log Cabin. There are so many beautiful patterns and fabric it hard to stay "limited" to the here and now. I think for me starting and buying fabric was committing to the potential of the quilt. I have started to adjust my thinking and have adopted thougth that just because I did not have it ( fabric) today does not mean that I will never have it or better tommorrow.
As for finishing quilts.. I have to make bargains with myself . If I finish this then I can have ....
Sometimes these work!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM

I got addicted to buying fabric for a while when I'd been quilting for about a year. At first I bought mainly theme fabrics, then I started buying background fabrics. Now I have a nice stash and tons of scraps. I've been quilting about 2 1/2 years and just finished my 30th quilt. I have about ten in the hopper and I sew several days out of the week. I haven't been in a fabric store for months, however. I have all the fabric I can store.

I think whenever one starts a new passion, there are expenses to get up and running. I spent tons outfitting my kitchen when I got interested in cooking. I spent a lot when I got passionate about photography. And I spent a lot when I got passionate about quilting. After a while though, there isn't anything left that you need and the buying frenzy stops. I don't need anything for any of these hobbies now except specific items for a specific project--and even those things are few and far between.

If you buy so much fabric that there's no longer room to live in the house, or if you spend so much that you break the bank, that's the time to start worrying.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM

What a whiz! 15 in a year!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
Raise your right hand and repeat after me .... I'm Fayza and I'm a fabriholic .... and there ain't no 12-step program that will help! :lol: :lol:
There is no cure and We are not looking for one.

ROFLMAO

Welcome to the Darkside.

8-)
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I got addicted to buying fabric for a while when I'd been quilting for about a year. At first I bought mainly theme fabrics, then I started buying background fabrics. Now I have a nice stash and tons of scraps. I've been quilting about 2 1/2 years and just finished my 30th quilt. I have about ten in the hopper and I sew several days out of the week. I haven't been in a fabric store for months, however. I have all the fabric I can store.

I think whenever one starts a new passion, there are expenses to get up and running. I spent tons outfitting my kitchen when I got interested in cooking. I spent a lot when I got passionate about photography. And I spent a lot when I got passionate about quilting. After a while though, there isn't anything left that you need and the buying frenzy stops. I don't need anything for any of these hobbies now except specific items for a specific project--and even those things are few and far between.

If you buy so much fabric that there's no longer room to live in the house, or if you spend so much that you break the bank, that's the time to start worrying.
Wellll, I don't spend so much that I break the bank and my addiction is only crowding my sewing room but I still find it hard to pass up an LQS if I'm in the area and I have a few $'s to spend. Just can't stop. LOL.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by fayza
Okay..... As I've said I have only been quilting or even sewing for about a year. I began in Jan. 2010 I have finished 15 quilt tops to date.

Now for the confession..... I am addicted to buying fabric.

However, I must say my fabric stash is not very large at all. When I buy fabric I usually try to purchase enough to do a quilt and I will NOT leave it in my fabric tote I have to cut it up and have it ready to be sewn. And let me just say it worries me to death when its laying in my sewing room and hasn't been cut. I loose sleep over it!!! Finally when its cut I can bounce back and forth from project to project until its finished. (I'm going to make another post listing all of my current projects, maybe if I share their status I'll hurry and finish them.) After a year of this madness the projects are really building up on me!!! And my fabric shopping addiction is not slowing down :)
FIFTEEN??? You go girl, I started ONE this Jan and will be lucky to finish it by Feb of next year. Way too much else going on! :D
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by hereca622
Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
Raise your right hand and repeat after me .... I'm Fayza and I'm a fabriholic .... and there ain't no 12-step program that will help! :lol: :lol:
There is no cure and We are not looking for one.

ROFLMAO

Welcome to the Darkside.

8-)
Finally figured out the net shorthand ROFLMAO!, me too!
:-D
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Fayza-I am a fabriholic too and I have sooo much fabric I am sure I will never make everything with it that I planned too lol Welcome to the club-remember she who dies with the most fabric wasn't sewing fast enough lolol
PS I can not make anything other than quilts either so you are not alone (though I am now trying clothes for my daughter :shock: )

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
The one kind of fabric I have the most of is for OBW's. I've at least 12 hunks for just those. Good Luck!
And I have to ask fwl-how did you end up with at least 12 hunks for your OBWs???? You are one lucky gal
:twisted:
Hugs
April
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

WELCOME TO MY WORLD.......IT GETS BIGGER AND BIGGER...lol