Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting with embroidery machine >

quilting with embroidery machine

quilting with embroidery machine

Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 AM

I've used mine for table toppers but not tried anything larger. Putting the machine on the floor sounds like a great idea. I do love emblibrary.com designs. I use them a lot and they always come out beautifully.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 AM

I done 15 lap quilts for Christmas on my Pfaff 5770 and Babylock Ellegante, Support is a big factor and centering each block as you hoop it. They turned out very well, but it does take a lot of time. You must be sure the batting is not too thick or the hoops will pop off in the middle of the pattern and then you have to pick it out and start over as it is very difficult to match it up again.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
I have been afraid to try this... Do I use a stabelizer on the back?
No stabilizer is necessary. Just hoop and sew!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM

I have embroidered large motifs in large blank areas such as centers in Irish Chain. Works great, don't use really thick batting, no stabilizer required.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 PM

It's not as easy as you might think to hoop each square and to get the design exactly right in each square, and it doesn't really look like quilting on the back. The stitches are much smaller. I have a Viking Ruby and I have tried numerous ways to quilt a quilt. The best way is it quilt each square before you put the quilt together and to do it as a QAYG.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Hi
I quilt with my embroidery machine, I have the Babylock Elegante2. I use the Monster Snap Hoop, it's a very strong magnetic snap hoop. It's real strong! I can just lay my quilt sandwich on it, put the top hoop on and away I go, then lift the top hoop, readjust my quilt, top down and go again. It's not like using a regulation hoop where you hoop the fabric. The magnets literally hold a quilt sandwich firmly.....and I mean firmly! Love it! I have the 7x12 and the 5x7size. I use them for my towels, sweatshirts, anything bulky or thick.
It is available for most machine brands, check it out on YouTube or Designs for Machine Embroidery. They are rather expensive, but my embroidery options really expanded when I bought them.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM

I have a Embroidery machine Husqvarna Viking SE I have done blocks but have not quilted all 3 layers at one time. Can this be done? And look good on the back? If so can someone show some pictures of the back of quilt so I can see what it looks like? Give tips us some tips on how to do it ? I would really like to try this. You all are Awesome with help. Thanks Juanita
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM

Could you post a picture of this quilt?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 AM

It's great I have used in many a time - it does take a little patience when hooping and I tend to use those little magnetic clamps around the hoop - why not try it on a small quilt first good luck
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM

I love your idea of putting the machine on the floor to quilt in embroidery machine. love it , love it
Originally Posted by kydeb View Post
I made my mother a king size Sunbonnet Sue appliqued quilt and embroidered every other square with a flower pattern on my Viking Rose (I now also have a Ruby). When I did her quilt, I put the machine on the floor and hooped. It made it easier and the quilt had plenty of support.