Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting on an embroidery machine >

quilting on an embroidery machine

quilting on an embroidery machine

Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Put a pin through the center of your quilt where you want the design to stitch out. Since your design is round, if you then push the pin through the center of the stabilizer, you can just stick the quilt down on the stabilizer. The x/y axis shouldn't matter.

Dawn's tutorial is great! However with the circle motif, you don't have to go through so many steps, IMHO.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM

I have a Brother ULT2001 and when doing anything thick, I use those little black paper clips (the strong ones with fold back hinges) and clip the fabric to the edges of the hoop. It has worked well for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Dawn,
I'm using sticky stabilizer on the bottom of the bottom hoop. I'm not using a top hoop because my quilt sandwich is too thick. I tried marking the back of a 4" block, but that is hidden when I try to put the hoop on. I have to line up the center and the top, bottom, and sides. So far, the best I can do is put the sticky stabilizer on the bottom hoop, put that in my machine, mark the center of my block, and using the plastic centering template, get the right placement in the hoop. Then I have my sewing machine do a "check" and I adjust the hoop placement as necessary. It's time consuming and not perfect. Maybe I'm not quite understanding your way.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Hi TCharlie
I've done that before, but this embroidery that I'm doing now is the actual quilting on the quilt. It's going through all 3 layers. I have a little feathered motif for each 4" block. There are 45 blocks on each quilted pillow sham. And of course two shams. I could be at this for a while!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lesliequilts
Dawn,
I'm using sticky stabilizer on the bottom of the bottom hoop. I'm not using a top hoop because my quilt sandwich is too thick. I tried marking the back of a 4" block, but that is hidden when I try to put the hoop on. I have to line up the center and the top, bottom, and sides. So far, the best I can do is put the sticky stabilizer on the bottom hoop, put that in my machine, mark the center of my block, and using the plastic centering template, get the right placement in the hoop. Then I have my sewing machine do a "check" and I adjust the hoop placement as necessary. It's time consuming and not perfect. Maybe I'm not quite understanding your way.
Try marking the top too. If your quilt is sandwiched, you don't need stabilizer. However you can also do it the way you described.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM

mark the center where you want the design. and line it up with the center of the design. I hope that works