Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and eye strain >

Quilting and eye strain

Quilting and eye strain

Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Sounds like your arms are just too short. LOL. Readers help that problem a lot.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 PM

same advice from me -- I'm your age -- I had to start using the dime store +1's or 1.25's for threading needles and fine stitching and sewing. There are some really cute ones out there and they are small enough that you can look over them and still see distances/the tv without taking them off.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM

My dear, your eye problem may well have absolutely nothing to do with sewing. The fact that for 47 years you've had 20-20 eyesight is great. However, at 47 it is likely that your 20-20 vision is no longer "20-20 vision" lol.
Get referrals from friends and family members and have your eys checked, it's probably time for glasses.
Good luck
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM

no offense, but it's really not quilting related as it is related to the other issue in your post....hint..age! So sorry, but I have experienced those same symptoms in the last few years. My eye doc told me "you need adult glasses".

I thought it was funny for him to say, as I thought I was an adult as all four of my kids have been adults for years........go figure it took my eyes longer to catch up.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
Now mind you...

I am 47 years old and have always had 20/20 vision. I have never needed glasses and have never had difficulties with anything - even cutting and piecing quilts for extensive periods of time caused no problems.

However, since I started machine applique, I am having troublesome issues. I get headaches and for some strange reason, my eyes have difficulty accommodating from near to far vision, and I have blurriness for quite a while after I am done on the machine. It seems as if my eyes are too tired and too strained to adjust and focus, so my far vision is compromised for about an hour - then everything clears up and my vision is normal again.

This is all new to me, and I don't want to give up machine applique! Would glasses help? Would one of those magnifying lenses in front of the needle help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I thought everybody got bifocals when they celebrated their 40th birthday. You are way ahead of the game. See an optometrist or an ophthamologist. And be sure you've got adequate lighting. froggyintexas
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 AM

I agree with all the statements given. However, the sewing does add to eye strain as well as computer use. I will be going back to the eye doctor this week. My right eye had an hemorage two weeks ago in the back of the eye not the white. Not sure what caused it. I am thinking stress and strain. They did say that there was not detachment. Just bothersome with the tiredness, floaters and blurriness. I just pray it clears completely and soon.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Drugstore glasses work for some people. They do not correct astigmatism. Astigmatism without correction can cause headaches also. If you have never had an eye exam, this might be a good time to have one. Optometrists and opthalmologists examine the inside of the eye during exams. Sometimes the eye shows the first evidence of some diseases. They can also fit lenses to correct nearsightedness or farsightedness. Most people plus or minus 40 years old need help to see well. I got my first pair of bifocals at 37. Of course I was farsighted to begin with.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
It might not be quilting related. It might be age related. Just saying.
I agree. Usually somewhere between 40 - 45 the eyes seem to give even the 20/20 vision folks some trouble. Mine did!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM

Have your blood sugar level checked too. I was having problems seeing and focusing and found out that I was diabetic.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 AM

I have progressive bifocals and have to wear readers perched on the edge of my nose to do handwork. Just got perscription computer glasses and love them. No more stress headaches at work or on the forum.