Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting finished quilt question >

Quilting finished quilt question

Quilting finished quilt question

Old 07-13-2023, 04:31 AM

Default Quilting finished quilt question

Now that I have overcome my fear of FMQ, I want to quilt another one! My question is: Have you quilted on earlier quilts after they have been washed? My earlier quilts are literally large squares cut and then sewn back together in order to create a ditch in which to stitch. (I really did not know what I was doing.) Anyhoo, they are really plain to me now, and I started to wonder...
Attached Thumbnails fish-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by aashley333; 07-13-2023 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:46 AM

I don't see any reason why not. At times I have fixed some loose quilting that was pulling out on a quilt that had been washed many times by putting it in my sewing machine and going over that spot. Plus, a lot of quilters wash their fabric before they even start quilting, so it being washed isn't an issue.

The only thing I would watch is: if your backing and front is a little loose you might want to pin baste it in the area you are working on, as you go, to keep the backing from getting 'pinched' 'caught' and doubled or folded over while you quilt it.

Edited to add: nice quilt!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-13-2023 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Nothing wrong with adding some new quilting on a finished quilt. The original quilting should hold everything in place for you to quilt some more on it. Have fun with your FMQ. It is kind of addictive. I love plain old stipple for the texture it creates.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Yes you can but if the top and backing are not perfectly flat, I would smooth out any extra fabric towards the SITD lines and just place a motif in the the center of the square.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:46 AM

Haven't done it, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:03 PM

Sure go ahead. Why not make your early example shine a nicely as those you finished just a few days ago. I watched Pat Sloan add some quilting this week to a piece that she did years ago. Because of the lack of stitching on the large bear in the center of the quilt, the bear was beginning to sag. The link is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDIYty2sxE Start at about 12 minutes. She gave a good tip to do a quick practice on a sample to get your quilting juices running again.

Happy quilting!

Old 07-14-2023, 06:12 PM

I re-quilted my daughter's quilt when it fell apart after many years. I cut off the tattered binding, layered a new backing right on top of the old one, machine quilted the whole thing (it was originally hand quilted) and then put on a new binding. All the fabric, both in the original quilt and in fabric added, was pre-washed, so there was no problem with shrinkage or any other issue. She was very happy that I could give new life to her old favorite. So, go for it!