Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Flannel >

Quilting with Flannel

Quilting with Flannel

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 AM

I made a flannel quilt for my husband a few years ago. Definitely pre-wash - it shrinks and has lots of lint. I used the Hobbs Heirloom batting and it worked well. He loves his quilt.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 AM

I'm working on a flannel quilt. I recommend pre-washing. The shrinkage was significant. I also serged the edges of the flannel before I washed it, to cut down on fraying. I am using yardage, not fq.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:11 AM

I agree with the prewashing. All that flannel, you might want to clean out the lint filter on your dryer half way through drying!

If you are afraid of unraveling, use a serger. If you don't have one, maybe a friend will let you use theirs. Or, do a small hem on the raw edges. Unless you can gaureentee that the quilt will never be washed, prewash!

I did a flannel quilt using the "brick" pattern designed by Liz Porter. It was real easy. The bricks were 3 1/2" X 6 1/2". No half bricks, you do stagger the rows, but wait until the top is done before trimming the edges. That was before I had a serger. I did not hem the edges but stood over a trash can and trimmed with pinking shears. It still unraveled some. Next time I will serge all the flannel.

I also had to clean the bobbin area every time the bobbin was empty, and that included lifting the bobbin casing out and taking a long paintbrush (like in a kids watercoloring set) and cleaning out all the fuzz!

I not only made the top in flannel, I used a thick flannel for batting and a solid navy flannel for the backing. My son couldn't get over how soft the quilt was. He kept hugging it - and he's a grown man - not a little kid!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 AM

]

Cherylynne, I have a bunch of Moda flannel homespuns that I bought at least 15+ years ago and they are all fat quarters. Normally I wash all flannel yardage but am scared to death of washing these fats for fear of unraveling. By what you're saying I should be fine without washing them. When I ever make/finish this quilt do I just wash as I do all my other quilts? Will they all shrink the same...I use Quilters Dream batting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Put the fat quarters in a lingerie bag or make one out of tulle or nylon net. Wash a few at a time and they shouldn't ravel.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I love working with flannel, so soft and warm!